What to take on a cruise

Eye-level

Banned
I am going in July and I am taking the D5000, 28, 105, and the 135 along with the F2 and about 10 rolls of film in case I break the D5000...then I am gonna put a P&S in the hands of the wife and oldest boy...

I would plan for a lot of daylight shooting and maybe a lot of lowlight evening type shooting...I imagine I'll be carrying the D5000 with the 28 alone most of the time (especially if I am able to get a faster 28 by then)...I hate carrying a bunch of gear around...

Sambr

My Fuji X10 - that's it! I want to enjoy the cruise not pack gear around, besides the X10 fits nicely in the safe :) (my thoughts only)

Phillydog1958

I don't do too many cruises. I've only been on 2 in my life. We usually go to a resort and stay on land. ;) The last resort we went to was a Sandal's in Jamaica. At that time, I had a D5000 and I took my kit lens. If I were going today and had to take one lens, it would be my 16-85mm. Don't lug a ton of gear. Travel light. Enjoy your trip.

Eye-level

Banned
My Fuji X10 - that's it! I want to enjoy the cruise not pack gear around, besides the X10 fits nicely in the safe :) (my thoughts only)

If by some miracle of god if I happen to have a Fuji X Pro 1 with their new 35mm lens or whatever the heck it is I will take that...and the F2...in case I break the Fuji! :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you want to cover many possibilities, I'd suggest the D7000 with the 18-200 and the 35 1.8 G. This is what I would take and also the 10-20. Please take a monopod with you this is more than a life saver at times.

RickSawThat

For a light set-up -- I'd either take my d5100 and the 18-200mm VR II or if traveling really light I'd just grab my P&S CoolPix S9100.

If I could grab 2 lenses and my DSLR I'd take the 18-200mm and the 70-300mm.

If I could sneak in one more lens I'd add the FishEye.

If everything goes right I'm off to Peru for a week in Spring. I'll bring all 3 lenses plus the CoolPix. Hate to get there and wish I brought that extra 2 pounds to have the right lens. I'll probably only have one chance to go ever....

And what will I mainly be shooting while there ;) B&W Street Portraits Peruvian Style of course :)

I must add I always travel light with carry on baggage only - no matter if I go for 2 days or for 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Bukitimah

I would think a wide angle lens would be useful. If you need to take indoor, a fast lens if flash is not permitted. Yes, travel light since the objective is to enjoy

Obir

I always travel light, so I'd take the d7000 with the fastest lens you've got (for on-board shots day or night) and a small waterproof camera to take to the pool, beach and shopping when you make port.

MartinDBaker

Hi,

I went on a 14 day Med cruise last year and took the D7000 and just my 18-200 VR Mk1. Missed having 2.8 to be honest, but at least it was light weight. On the tours I found we were wisked around too quick, they gave us no time at all to listen to the guide then take photos properly. I set Auto-ISO on to save time, the tours took us through highly variable lighting conditions.

The Mk1 suffers bad from lens creep & annoyed me. I've subsequently bought a "Lensband" - which has sorted the problem.

Sambr

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Take whatever camera you want. You may even leave it in your stateroom on the bed, the staff will not take it. Not that I want you to.

But I agree, don;t take too much gear, enjoy the cruise.

Famous last words - I suppose you will buy him new gear after it's stolen??? I have gone on many cruises and they WARN the passengers NOT to leave valuables unattended.

Phillydog1958

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Take whatever camera you want. You may even leave it in your stateroom on the bed, the staff will not take it. Not that I want you to.

But I agree, don;t take too much gear, enjoy the cruise.

You can't be serious. I'm not stereotyping cruise ship employees, but one has to assume that you can't just lay your expensive camera gear out on the bed, as you stated. That's why cruise ships, hotel rooms, etc . . . offer safes to their guests. If the risk of theft were not a reality, there would not be a need for safes.