Lens filters

3Ring

Make your own with black construction paper. Cut out a circle which snugly fits on to your lens. In the center of that round cut-out cut a small star (use a star punch or exact-knife) or any other shape. Voila! Filter!

coach

thats not what i was looking for. Looking for the star effect when shooting lights at night. such as four point six point was just wondering what everybody was using

Eye-level

Banned
Coach the number of star points is dependent upon the number of aperture blades your lens has and whether they are straight or curved! You don't need a filter! Just a good lens and the proper ISO and exposure and aperture for optimum effect!

Coach that was a damn good question BTW...you are using the 18-55 so that lens has 7 blades and produces 14 star points (I'm pretty sure about this because they are rounded blades)... :)

Last edited:

coach

No problem 3Ring I am a newbie just trying learn. BTW you gave me some ideas to try with the construction paper. Thanks Eye level need to do some more experimenting with the camera.

coach

Thats it M.Hinch Now my next question how do I find out the size of my lens. From everything I can find online it says I would use a 52mm filter for a 18-55 mm lens.@ Jeff I would like to one day be able to take portraits and a big thing around here is a city lights session. Our downtown has several wrought iron arches that cross over the street that are light up at night and I think it would be a really nice affect. It's funny you brought up friday night lights Been thinking about following a local High School football team this fall and tell their season story with pictures not for profit just for the kids. I have taken pictures for year but never got serious about it until recently. So I have a ton to learn, but can't better if I don't shoot.

Eye-level

Banned
It's 52mm...most Nikkors are 52mm...been that way forever...some of them are 62mm like the 105/1.8 which has 9 rounded aperture blades so 18 starbursts! Not to mention it is a background burner deluxe...The other common Nikkor size is for the big zooms and lenses such as the 85/1.4 AIS...monster big massive light gathering front lenses 72mm in size weighing in at over a pound and about the size of a frigging grapefruit! Considered to be one of the best Nikkor telephotos made bar none...

You have a 52mm size filter mount though Coach... :)

M.Hinch

Now coach, when purchasing one think of the future. Consider what may be your biggest lens and purchase for it. Instead of purchasing 3 filters, which can get expensive, just purchase the biggest filter and lens adapters for each lens as you purchase them. At 10-12 bucks each, its much cheaper.

Michael

3Ring

I completely agree with M.Hinch on the filter size issue. I've got some 77mm lenses and I bought step down rings to put them on my 52 mm lenses. The step down rings are cheap, as M.Hinch says. Be sure when ordering (B&H, Adorama, etc.) that you get the right adapters b/c there are step down rings/adapters and step up ring/adapters.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Now coach, when purchasing one think of the future. Consider what may be your biggest lens and purchase for it. Instead of purchasing 3 filters, which can get expensive, just purchase the biggest filter and lens adapters for each lens as you purchase them. At 10-12 bucks each, its much cheaper.
Michael

Michael, as much as it can be cheaper, one has to remember that by using a step-up ring with a bigger filter for some lenses, you'll also loose the possibility to use the lens shade… For me, this outweighs the benefit, specially when shooting outdoors.

M.Hinch

Michael, as much as it can be cheaper, one has to remember that by using a step-up ring with a bigger filter for some lenses, you'll also loose the possibility to use the lens shade… For me, this outweighs the benefit, specially when shooting outdoors.

Marcel,

Have you tried temporarily taping a black piece of cardboard on the lens and using it as a lens hood? Just remember to look through the view finder to see that it is not affecting the corners.
I actually purchased a collapsible rubber hood that screws onto the front of my 77mm filters. Also cheaper.

Michael.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Marcel,

Have you tried temporarily taping a black piece of cardboard on the lens and using it as a lens hood? Just remember to look throw the view finder to see that it is not affecting the corners.
I actually purchased a collapsible robber hood that screws onto the front of my 77mm filters. Also cheaper.

Michael.

Thanks for the rubber hood hint Michael. I just had to add that it's not really good to shoot without a hood outdoors.

Marcel

coach

I ordered them from digitalgoja on amazon.com I ordered them on the 6th and they were here on the 8th. They have a package of 4,6,8 point and lens hood with a lens cloth. 18 dollars and some change including shipping. I was expecting them to be fairly cheaply made but was surprised they're not bad and should suit my needs just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: