Hey everyone! Short time lurker and New Guy

shady195

I'll give you guys a bit of background about me in case any of you actually care to read this stuff :pNames Mackenzie (Guy with girl name as my wife always says to me :mad:) from upstate New York albany area. Lived here all my life, its a love hate relationship though I really cannot complain. One of the few areas where you can enjoy every season, and all kinds of awesome attractions and places can be had within a 4 hour drive in any direction. I have always been interested in photography since I was about 3-4 years old. My Uncle owns a Local studio in which he does everything on the premises. My father also owned his own studio as more of a hobby/side job (Police officer of 21 years) and sister company of my uncles studio. My father has been out of the photography game for quite some time after an accident while on duty which resulted in a tough few years and closing of his studio.I always had a camera in my hand and always loved shooting anything and everything I could, my uncle and father always told me I had an eye for photography even if at the time when I was little they were not the greatest.It's been quite a long time since Ive thought of being serious with any sort of photography. Always had my point and shoot or my phone handy for catching those quick moments, always thinking after the fact that I'd love to maybe try doing this a bit more seriously but never following through with it. Photography is a very moving thing for me seeing other peoples photographs and I hope someday I'll be able to show something that moves someone else in the same way so many others have moved me.Last month I finally said the hell with it and purchased a Nikon D5100 (Im a Nikon loyalist, 20 years of family influence, plus in all honestly I hated shooting with my friends Cannons, button layout is just to much of a cluster f*** for my liking) well the wife after 2 weeks got mad at me hogging it all the time, and already knowing I wanted more shiny knobs then the 5100 offered, I sprung and got a D90 for myself, I know it is a bit antiquated these days but I got it for a great price and figure it will do me just fine and take a while before I can out perform what the D90 has to offer. I can tell you though, I love shooting with the D90 much more then the D5100, its heavier which I like, and so much easier to move about adjustments.I'm basicly still getting familiar with photograhpy again, just doing a lot of experimenting and shooting whatever catches my eye, along with planning future shots as I drive around and see places, things and people that catch my eye and think will look great.I'm not a purist I will admit. I do love my photo editing :p Maybe that will go away as I get better, but I love to over saturate my photos and play with things in Lightroom.Here is some of my shots though over the past few weeks

Virgin-Mary-016-L.jpg

Snow-walk-with-shannon-014-L.jpg

Troy-036-L.jpg

Troy-197-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites. Nice shots. :) If you could limit the shots to about 2 or 3, that would be great. Gives us time to appreciate them more. Post most of your shots to an album, allowing everyone to enjoy them at their leisure. :) Thanks.

I applaud your choice on the D90. Great camera, and it still has a lot to offer, IMHO.

bluenoser

Banned
That was an awesome introduction Mackenzie. Not too often I see anyone work the phrase "cluster-f*ck" into a sentence here but somehow it works. lol! :)

Very glad to have you aboard. Welcome!

Eye-level

Banned
I think Mac is the most virile name there is isn't it? LOL

Welcome to the forum sir...so are there any cameras left over from your uncle and dad still in the family? What about lenses?

shady195

Got a couple of old Nikon 35MM SLRs laying around and a couple Bronica medium format cameras.

I haven't talked to my uncle lately. He's still running his studio, but I plan to stop by sometime soon and play with some of his toys and see if he has anything he wouldn't mind getting rid of. ;)

Got a few lenses. My dad loaned/sold a lot of his stuff, and by loaned I mean he gave things to somebody to use and never got them back LOL. A 50MM F/2, a 135, though I can't recall the speed, a 500MM F8 mirrored lens and a couple others. My dad never got into the AF game so all those lenses are manual.

gav329

Hi Mackenzie or shady!! Welcome to nikonites. You'll enjoy it here everyone is a great help and friendly!!

Really like the photos, well done

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk