d300- gift

KennethHamlett

Why don't you look at the D3000 not the D300? You'll spend a lot of money on the D300 and if your niece is just starting out she'll get the same quality pics from a D3000. Heck, even if she's not just starting out she'll get the same quality images from the 3000 as she would the 300, plus you'll save a bunch of money that can go towards additional accessories.

fotobug

I wanted to gift a Nikon camera to a fourteen year old niece. Is d300 a good model to gift?

I would not recommend it (D300). The D300 is an advanced level camera and unless she has some SLR experience, she will just be frustrated with it. There are no auto settings that she could fall back on. It is heavy, and it is expensive...$1700 body only so still have to buy a lens and you really don't want to put a budget lens on that type of body...D3000 (most basic entry level)or D5000 (slightly more advanced but still entry level) would be a better choice (IMHO of course)

fotobug

There are no auto settings that she could fall back on.

Let me clarify...there ore no FULLY AUTOMATIC settings on the D300...it does have P (program) S (shutter Priority) and A (Aperture Priority) which you could say are semi-automatic, but not the fully automatic settings you will find on the D3000, D5000 and D90 cameras

zx7dave

Or a used D40....first camera should be a beater that he learns with...then when he is older and more familiar with how to not only use a camera, but care for one then get him into something more modern....just my $ .02