It's just not right!

Soulphotography

Hmmm, the face seems so flat to me - but I'm unsure of how to/how I could've fixed that? DSC_0591.JPG

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
There are a few things that could have helped in this situation.

1- Fill in flash

2- Fill in reflector

The face of the subject being in the shade, it needs more light to be balanced with the backlight on the hat. So that is something that is best fixed when you take the shot.

You could try to fix it by adding a little contrast and brightness to the face only using masks in post processing but it won't do the same as a fill in.

Rick M

I 2nd everything Marcel said, it's all about light. A little more space above his hat would have been nice also. I really like the background of the tall grass, it really makes him and his clothing stand out! Very colorful.

fotojack

Yup...everything Marcel suggested. I'd use a reflector for the fill light on the face....a gold reflector, actually, would give the face a warmer and brighter glow.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I wasn't home on my computer when I answered this morning, but here's what I had in mind with post processing:

post processing exDSC_0591.jpg

This might not be exactly what you would like or want, but it's just to give you an idea of the possibilities of post processing. This is one thing where a lot of photographers should really master IMHO.

Soulphotography

Thanks Marcel.
I must honestly admit, whilst I have CS4, I have very little knowledge on how to use it. I'm doing a few courses this year at uni that are photoshop and LR specific. In the mean time I might play around with masks etc and see what I can come up with :)
And I think I'll retake the shot today with a reflector!

Thanks everyone.

bobmielke

1. The face is too centered in the frame
2. There's too little contrast in the face due to an over-powering shadow - use fill-flash
3. extend the frame and crop in portrait mode.
4. add more snap to the overall photo
5. sharpen the eyes

If composed and lit properly the viewer's eyes should lock in on the boy's eyes.

Original

DSC0591-M.jpg

Enhanced

DSC0591a-M.jpg

Soulphotography

Thank you very much for your advice. I see what is meant by the face being not lit- Its amazing how the use of a reflector could've changed this pic so much!