Settings for product photography?

faith23

I have a Nikon D3000. Need to get a 300 dpi closeup of a perfume bottle for a magazine. I have the white background all set up. Lighting is perfect. But I need to know the right settings. Pics are coming out with beige background and not perfect focus. Can someone please help? Thank you!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
welcome to the site! Can you post an example pic with EXIF data? It sounds like your white balance could use an adjustment, or you're just a little under exposed. Also, how much lighting are you using? It could be that you just need more light too.

faith23

I have the product in a light box with white walls. The lighting is a bright shop light. Looks perfect to the eye. I am not savvy with settings and know nothing about APP, ISO, etc. When taking closeups, what kind of settings do I use? App? ISO? F??

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hrm, well since the recommendation would have to be based on what your camera did (and we can't predict what 'perfect lighting' is) we'll have to see an example. There's never a fixed setting that can be used for 'close ups'. :)

LensWork

There are two possible issues at work here.

1. because of the dominance of white in the image, it is being under-exposed. Add some + exposure compensation (+1 - +2).

2. Nikons are notorious for imperfect (usually too warm, hence the beige tint) auto-white balance under incandescent illumination. Try using manual white balance and start with a setting of 3200k. If it is still too warm, go down to 3000k. You can also adjust the auto white balance by adding blue (+B in the settings).