Is there a decline in forum participation?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I know there are a lot of websites and forums that covers just about anything. About 3 years ago when I started participating on some of the photography forums, it was huge and it was addicting. Nowadays, I don't feel so active anymore.

Is it because I've reached the point that I have learned the things that interest me or have acquired the photography equipment that I desired? The addition of the D4 and the 85mm f1.8G gained some slight momentum but eventually settled down.

I wonder what could spark my interest again? Anyone experiencing similar feeling?

bluenoser

Banned
My view...

Hi Glenn.

In short:
I know exactly what you mean and I'm going through it too.

Longer version:
Glenn, you and I knew each other primarily from another photography forum - where I now am an Admin - before we ended up bumping into each other here too :) To one degree or another I come here, Nikon Cafe, Photo Camel, Canadian-Photographer, DCRP and dpreview (these days I mostly just come here and Can. Photog.) I started off my online photography forum life in 2004 at dpreview and DCRP while adding others over the years. I certainly have found that my level of forum activity ebbs and flows over the course of a given season and sometimes over a longer period of time. The pendulum swings from one extreme where I feel I'm really overdoing it in terms of the hours I spend on the forums (and you get that "feeling") to the other extreme where I abandon it almost completely (and you get another type of "feeling").

Due to recent (serious) health problems that started last July, I had a dramatic decrease in both my picture taking and photography forum activity. In mid-December the worst of it was over but I'm going to be dealing with the fall out for the rest of my life (manageable now but scared the hell out of me!) After that experience, frankly I've found that spending more time with my wife, 8 yr. old son, 6 yr. old daughter, other family and friends was just a more fulfilling way to spend my time as opposed to banging away on the keyboard. No doubt there is a place for a person's online forum activity in the mix of their life but like with anything, a healthy balance is required.

In general photography forums are filled with "gear heads" (please note that I said "in general"). In my opinion professional photographers are out earning a living and taking pictures, and practicing and enjoying their craft. I doubt they have a ton of time to spend arguing about if the D300s or the D7000 is the better crop sensor camera! :) Part of my reasoning in terms of my participating ebbing from time to time is that really, how many times can I talk about the same photography/gear related questions? Which camera should I buy? Which lens should I get? DX or FX? JPEG or RAW? When will the next new camera/lens be coming? Should I buy now and wait for the latest and greatest?

Please understand that I'm not putting down anyone who asks these questions (heck I've asked many versions of these myself over the years) it's just that it gets a bit old. However I would be dishonest to say that the photography topics themselves were keeping me away - they really aren't the main reason at all - it has far more to do with what I described about essentially finding a better balance in my life. Lately I find that I'm doing more reading (just finished the Stieg Larsson trilogy! - amazing books!) - I forgot how mentally relaxing it is to get lost in a good book.

Anyway, sorry to prattle on, this is just my personal view of the issue you've raised. Hopefully we'll get through it together! LOL! :)

Great thread topic Glenn.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't think Glenn has winter where he lives! :)

Oh it can get cold in Tokyo as well. Maybe not as cold as up here in Canada, but still damp and cold.

I hope your health gets better for a long time James. I had problems last year and it does put things back into perspective. And yes, Stieg Larson's trilogy was quite exciting to read, better than the films.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't think Glenn has winter where he lives! :)

Hahaha! That was funny.

James- I think you've nailed it right on the head! I'm sorry to hear about your health condition too. My wife often tells me that I spend too much time on the computer and with my photography, and she is right this time. We do need to balance our time with our family. I knew this when I started spending more time with her and she appreciated it a lot.

Like you, I've gone through several camera upgrades, lenses from the Nikon D primes, cheaper zoom lenses such as the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 to the more expensive Nikon pro lenses, speedlights, tripods and heads.

I guess there is a common trend for a promising photographer to go through gears, lenses, photosharing, creating a website photo sharing account such as flickr, etc.

What makes it a little more frustrating is when someone ask for a recommendation (not particularly in this forum), is they tend to ignore your suggestion since the price is way beyond to what they are willing to spend on. Being a gear head myself, which I think meet this description, can only suggest the same stuff over and over again. Sometimes it's easier to provide them a link of previous and similar discussions if they only use the "search" feature.

Not trying to bash on Dpreview, but most conversations that I have read in that forum are pretty brutal or harsh. Everybody seems to be very knowledgeable in that forum based on what they've read on other websites. Not my cup of tea so I tend to stay away from that forum except to read some of their reviews.

Rick M

It appears to me that many folks here are very busy with 365's and are not posting or commenting in the other areas. Photo critique comes to mind, seems like fewer pics are posted and the ones that are get nominal response.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Let's try to figure out where Eye-Level goes surfing in Oklahoma?

THAT seems like a challenge! :)

You first Pete. ;) After watching the weather on the news with several potential tornado hits, I would stay away from Oklahoma for now. :D

Maybe a day at Mt Fuji will be nice so that I can actually touch what the snow feels like. :rolleyes:

It appears to me that many folks here are very busy with 365's and are not posting or commenting in the other areas. Photo critique comes to mind, seems like fewer pics are posted and the ones that are get nominal response.

Hi Rick-that could be also a contributing factor.

I think what makes this forum a little more unique is the active participation of the weekly challenges. It somehow motivates (to a certain degree) to go out and shoot (except for some of the residents up North).

The majority of you have probably found a more relaxing place which is a good thing. I've tried all sorts of photography forums from other countries as long as they speak or write in English since I like to learn more about photography but I end up reading similar threads.

One example is the D4 or maybe the D800. One guy will often say that he wants all the bells and whistles in a camera, but once the camera is released like the D4, he would just quietly shift to other topic or complain that it is too expensive. It's all "blah" IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sambr

For me I lose my MoJo every once in awhile - have to find something to "kick start" it. I agree with James I get sick and tired of "Gear Heads" - for some of those folks they don't need more gear they need divine intervention for them to produce something worthwhile. I just about want to puke when some idiots are comparing gear that has not been made yet and will never be able to afford if and when it is made to other gear that is made but they don't own or have ever used it. It's the same all over - I used to shoot IPSC (International Practical Pistol Confederation) I quit when the handguns started to look like them came of the set of Star Wars in which then it became an equipment race.