D700 af

chowchow

I can't seem to set my AF to focus on a group photo. It seems to focus on a couple of people and the rest seems out of focus. Please help. Thanks

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I can't seem to set my AF to focus on a group photo. It seems to focus on a couple of people and the rest seems out of focus. Please help. Thanks

Could you post the actual photo with the exif (iso, aperture, shutter speed, focus setting) file so we can see what could be done? It's a little difficult to judge something without seeing it first.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Your most likely problem is that you shot a group and your lens was probably f4 or lower. For group shots using a wide angle lens, f5.6 will typically cover most depending on how they are positioned. f7 or f8 will definitely cover everyone. Are you using 3D tracking, 51 point or single focus? Like what Marcel have mentioned, a sample picture and exif data will help us analyze what the cause is. Normally the problem leads to the user, the users like us who are not familiar with the controls and have very little understanding about the effects of DOF and FL.

chowchow

When I get a chance, I will upload some pics. But I think the problem could have been that I set the front to S-single instead of C-contiuous tracking. The af was in 51 point 3D, my f was at f/1.8.

It was a group shoot of 4 and only two people to the right were focus on, the two people to the left were out of focus.