Wildlife in Nepal

lokatz

I'll probably post a few more as I am wrapping up my trip (still in Nepal right now) and weeding through my shots, but to whet your appetite, here is my idea of a wildlife shot. Shot at Bardia National Park with my D500 and 300mm f/4 PF, cropped to about 50%. (Yes, the tiger was that close, and my wife and I were sitting on an open jeep.) Enjoy!

Tiger.jpg

Iansky

Nice shot and the D500+300mm f4 PF is a superb combination and an easy carry unit as well. I hope we get the chance to see some more of your images from the trip.

lokatz

Today's shot shows a Nepali Jackal. This one was really far away, so I had to crop extensively. Still a decent picture, I think.

Jackal.jpg

Iansky

That's a pretty intense stare, you could have done with the 1.4 convertor but still needed to crop - it does show how good that combination is though.

lokatz

Hi Iansky, I've tested that combination before and concluded that it wasn't for me. That is because I found that upscaling in Photoshop gave me very similar results without the TC-14 as the original image with it did. During my Nepal trip, I tested my still-pretty-new TC-20 against the same criterion and find that I am still a bit disappointed: shooting the 300mm PF lens without TC still gives me very similar results after scaling in Photoshop. Will assess this some more, but I am starting to lean towards shooting without TCs since they don't seem to give me much of an advantage, if any, with this lens.

Last edited:

lokatz

Indian Rhino, again shot in Bardia National Park, Nepal. D500 with 300mm f/4 PF lens, no cropping. The smile is for the camera. :)

Rhino.jpg