Most Expensive Photograph, Selling for $4.3M

Carolina Photo Guy

The value of this particular shot is easily calculated.

Photo... $25.00

Condoms... $4.29995 million dollars.

Knowing that you will be screwed for the rest of your life... Priceless!

BWTHDIK?

jcottone45

The value of this particular shot is easily calculated.

Photo... $25.00

Condoms... $4.29995 million dollars.

Knowing that you will be screwed for the rest of your life... Priceless!

BWTHDIK?
Not too subtle.
I think you pretty much nailed this one Pete.!!!
Come to think of it, there's this bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to unload, do think the same buyer would be interested, hell I'll throw in the grid lock traffic to boot.!!!

Last edited:

Browncoat

I can't say that I'm surprised. Andreas Gursky’s "99 Cent II Diptychon" photo sold for $3.35 million back in 2006, and was a previous record holder before one of Cindy Sherman's self-portraits came along and took the title.

Don't let these numbers fool you. There's a 95% chance that this photo was purchased by someone representing an art collecting company. It's very unlikely that this went to a private collector, one individual paying over $4 million. Usually these things are owned by a collective, and passed around from gallery to gallery. They will far exceed the purchase price with donations and admissions gained by having this piece in their collection.

fotojack

In my ever so humble opinion, Andreas Gursky is a classic con artist that knows how to feed gullible pseudo connoisseurs of so called "fine art" a line of intellectual baffle gab. He's no more an artist than my grandmother is.

jcottone45

In my ever so humble opinion, Andreas Gursky is a classic con artist that knows how to feed gullible pseudo connoisseurs of so called "fine art" a line of intellectual baffle gab. He's no more an artist than my grandmother is.

Jack, maybe I should recruit this guy to sell that bridge, what do you think????
He seems to be a very successful con artist at that!!! What the hell why not take advantage of superior salesmanship, I'll even split the loot with all my nikonites buddies too.!!!

Eye-level

Banned
My grandpa and his brother were tankers in WW2...they ran through Africa, got their butts shot off in Italy, and went to France for the winter. My uncle Garv was captured and subsequently escaped losing 3 fingers to frostbite. But eventually they finally made it across the Rhine....

The Rhine is a particulary special piece of real estate folks and it has been for longer than old boy's plains are flat...

And that photograph is truly sublime...may you never have to take a shot at the Mississippi in that kind of light......

:)

jcottone45

That was you I sold the Brooklyn Bridge to, ok I'll sell 1 of the other 4 east river bridges, I'll split the booty with my nikonite pals Helene gets an extra share cause she's prettier than youse guys, just don't tell my wife, she's Sicilian ya know.!!!