Help on ISO Override on D5000 vs D90

huds.394

This may not be the right place for this question, but I can't seem to find a post that discusses this already.

I bought a D5000 last year and it started my journey deep into the rabbit hole of photography. So I am relatively new to the photography world. Recently I bought a D90 to upgrade for a wedding I am doing in a couple of weeks. At first I really didn't see much difference in the picture quality, but last night, I was doing some side by side testing and I ran into a problem. I set the cameras to the exact same settings and noticed that the same picture, taken on identical settings with the kit lens, turned out very differently on the D90 vs the D5000. On Aperture priority, f/5, ISO 200 with the pop-up flash, I noticed the D5000 overrode my ISO and made it Hi 0.3. The D90 retained the ISO 200 and the pic turned out fine, but the D5000 produced a pic with a ton of digital noise. I made an exhaustive check of all my settings to be sure, and all were the same (AF Mode, AF Area, Metering area, EV, and flash settings).

My question is, why the difference? The D90 has the same processor and I was using the same exact lens. (I took the kit 18-55 off the D5000 and put it on the D90). All else being identical, why would the D5000 override the settings that much? I even reset my custom settings in the menu, and it still changed it. I realize the D90 is a much better camera, but that is a ton of difference IMO, from two cameras that are supposedly processing images very similarly.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Somewhere in the menu of the D5000 might be the "auto iso" choice. Make sure you turn that one off. It might do the trick. Otherwise you'll have to go into the menus of both and make sure everything is the same, including the flash menu and the exposure settings (matrix vs spot or centered).

Let us know what works since there has to be a way to make the D5000 work as good as the D90.

huds.394

I thought that too. Auto ISO is off. And I went through everything with a fine-toothed comb, and it is all set to the same thing. That's why I am so puzzled.