Nikkor AF-S DX 55-200MM f/4-5.6G ED Lens Irritation

Sandpatch

I've noticed that my Nikkor AF-S DX 55-200MM f/4-5.6G ED Lens has an irritating habit of reflecting bright light elsewhere on an image. In this photo crop you can see an example of the result that I've circled -- the two green spots are a reflection of the bright locomotive headlights. I'm aware of the propensity of this lens to do this, so do my best to avoid catching headlights straight on, but in this case in an otherwise perfectly lit, well composed photograph, the result is just plain frustrating.

I guess this is just the nature of the lens? Is there a filter or different technique I can use to eliminate or minimize this? Thanks!

2016-04-09 Camden SC with Circle - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Ah ha -- these are two excellent points. I can't recall if I had my UV filter on or off for the shot. Recently, I've been removing it with the personal (and unscientific) belief that certain images show more clearly with better color tone without it. Nor can I recall if I applied my lens hood for this shot, but I think I did.

In any case, I'll experiment with these. Thank you. I just need to get a freight train to stop for a few minutes. :)