Group or D25 for B I F

canuck257

I would be interested in some personal opinions on these two a/f settings and how they relate to B I F shooting. I have read and understand the differences between the two but am curious to know what individual experience has indicated is the preferred option and why.:confused:

Blacktop

I would be interested in some personal opinions on these two a/f settings and how they relate to B I F shooting. I have read and understand the differences between the two but am curious to know what individual experience has indicated is the preferred option and why.:confused:
I have tried it all . D750, Nikon 200-500mm.
For me Single works the best and get more keepers with that.
My second choice would be D9.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I have tried it all . D750, Nikon 200-500mm.
For me Single works the best and get more keepers with that.
My second choice would be D9.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

up until last week i only used single, i tried 9 points to see what the difference was, so so, back on single.

and using BBF as i am sure Pete is too.

I use BBF which is the most important point. I have tried all the focus modes at one time or another. I almost always shoot single point.

kevy73

I use D9 pretty much exclusively. The only time it doesn't work is if I am doing some funky composition and the focus point is outside the focus boundary, then I flick to single, focus and then compose, but all my other shots are 100% D9 and BBF and I move the centre point around with my thumb to put it over the eye each time.

I use D9 pretty much exclusively. The only time it doesn't work is if I am doing some funky composition and the focus point is outside the focus boundary, then I flick to single, focus and then compose, but all my other shots are 100% D9 and BBF and I move the centre point around with my thumb to put it over the eye each time.

Kind of hard to do with BIF. The birds tend to fly a little to fast for that

canuck257

I'm using BBF and Single Point mainly. I have the "joystick" press programmed for BBF also with D25 which gives me a very flexible set of options. I am tempted by Group but put off by it's tendency to focus on the closest point which, with large birds, is often not the eye. I am just curious to know whether my reasoning for not using Group is sound.

I'm using BBF and Single Point mainly. I have the "joystick" press programmed for BBF also with D25 which gives me a very flexible set of options. I am tempted by Group but put off by it's tendency to focus on the closest point which, with large birds, is often not the eye. I am just curious to know whether my reasoning for not using Group is sound.

My problem when I have tried it is the birds tend to fly behind things like other birds and it confuses the focus point. Also I have quit trying to focus on the eye. I am just not that accurate in pointing my camera at a bird in flight. I generally shoot at a small enough aperture so that as much of the bird is in focus to include the eye.

Scott Murray

My problem when I have tried it is the birds tend to fly behind things like other birds and it confuses the focus point. Also I have quit trying to focus on the eye. I am just not that accurate in pointing my camera at a bird in flight. I generally shoot at a small enough aperture so that as much of the bird is in focus to include the eye.
I am for the neck of the bird this is more or less in line with the eye of the bird :)