D7100 Croped Sencor, Wich Next??? 80mm or 105mm

NikonShutterBug

Hello, I have a D7100 and really like prime lenses due to the sharpness and fast aperture value, but mainly sharpness. As far as prime lenses, I have a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G and Nikon AF-s 50mm f/1,8. As I say, I really like the sharpness the prime lens offers. I am considering an 85mm or 105mm prime lens.My intent will be portrait and all around use. Any suggestions or discussion will be much appreciated. Thanks

Horoscope Fish

Hello, I have a D7100 and really like prime lenses due to the sharpness and fast aperture value, but mainly sharpness. As far as prime lenses, I have a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G and Nikon AF-s 50mm f/1,8. As I say, I really like the sharpness the prime lens offers. I am considering an 85mm or 105mm prime lens.My intent will be portrait and all around use. Any suggestions or discussion will be much appreciated. Thanks
Both lenses are quite sharp. The 105mm is a little slower, but has VR and does macro. It also costs about twice as much as the 85mm which doesn't have VR or do macro. I could work with either lens for portrait work but, if I had my druthers, I'd reach for the 85mm, personally. The 85mm is also an excellent, all-purpose, short-tele in my opinion. I say that without taking anything away from the 105mm Micro, though... I just think you're paying a lot for the macro capability which you don't mention; and if you don't need the macro capability why pay for it?

skene

The 85mm on a DX body would probably be the furthest you want to reach since you will still be looking at a field of view at approx 130mm. Now unless you are planning on shooting macro as well you can go with the 105mm f2.8G or if you really want to spend big $$$ you can go with the newer 105 f1.4 however I feel that is way too much overkill on a lens like that and with the ongoing discussions it is not great as the DOF is too shallow at 1.4 and with that distance, it gives way too flat of an image.

RocketCowboy

I'm with HF ... my preference on the two would be the 85mm f/1.8. Great lens, it'll be a little faster, and is a very good portrait lens.

Zeke_M

I have the 35mm DX prime, 50mm AF-D and the 85mm f1.8 "G" lens.

99% of the time I have the 85mm on the camera and the 35mm in a small pouch attached to my sling.
I do the majority of my day to day pics with those two lenses.
The 85mm is an awesome lens.