Lens broken?

Brooklynchik123

Ive had my nikon d7100 for about 2 years and i recently did the upgrade for the firmware version i downloaded it directly from the nikon website. I followed instructions and it was fine, till i dropped my zoom lens and i checked it to make sure it was not broken but i shook it and it sounds like lil broken pieces inside. I still shot with it but i tried to use it today and now my camera is stuck and it doesnt shut off and no focus. I had to take out the battery and it was stuck again. It doesnt shoot and its stuck. Help. What can this be? Thx

Needa

Challenge Team
Re: Help Please camera wont turn off

Would not recommend using a lens that was dropped and has pieces loose in side. A newer auto focus lens must communicate with the camera and if something in that circuit is shorted it could possibly damage the camera. If by stuck you mean you can't zoom the lens one of the loose part is probably jammed in the mechanism. Do you have a different lens to try? You do not say what lens it was and you can get some very good prices on refurbished ones.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Welcome to the forum @Brooklynchik123

Now for your problem. More information on what you are asking is needed. Can you remove the lens from the camera or is that what you are saying is stuck? Or are you saying the lens will not focus? What lens is it? Do you have another lens for the camera?

Updating the firmware probably had nothing to do with your problem.

Post more info here and there a people who will be able to give you some good info.

Deezey

Please do not put a broken lens on a dSLR. Have you taken the lens off the camera? I would take the lens off and take out the battery. Wait 5-10 minutes then place the battery back in. Grab a different lens and try the camera out. You can also do a factory reset. If that still doesnt work I would say its safe to assume you have damaged your camera, and it will need to be sent in for repair. Did you purchase an extended warranty?

* For the love of all the photography gods out there. Do not try and use that lens again. Send it in to repair or buy another one.