Models - the tiny scale ones - not the human ones.

Fortkentdad

I'm off to endulge one of my other hobbies and will attend the Edmonton Model Railway Show. Two indoor soccor fields of model trains and scale model buildings. Some of that work is amazing. I just spend an bit of time playing with my lenses down on my own layout to see what one(s) I should pack in my bag.

I'll be using the D610 as low light is an issue. I also will want some nice wide shots too. And I'll have the D7100 mounted to the 200-500 in the trunk all ready to pull over and shoot any bird that comes into view on the three hour drive down. (Hopefully getting some wonderful fall folliage in the background.

But back to the question at hand. Which lens.

After playing with several I opted for the 24-70 Tamron 2.8 with VR.
I considered my niffty 1.8 fifty - small, light, sharp and my fastest.
Or the 85 1.8 - not quite as small but not bad, newer with built in AFS motor and more reach.
Or the 105 2.8 macro - macro shot might come in very handy - and 105 gets me close when I'm standing a few feet away from a tiny subject.
But the 60 2.8 macro is wider and maybe a nice compromise . . .

In the end the versatility of the zoom, it's VR feature (this will all be hand held in not the best light). and it is fast enough at 2.8
But I dropped the 105 in the bag in case I want to macro something. or the 70mm needs to be just a little longer.

Had also put the 50 in the bag thinking it is so small will I notice - but I did. Room in the small over the shoulder bag for the camera with 24-70, the 105 in a Nikkor sock, and my SB-700.

Will post the results.

Should I have chosen differently?

We'll see how it turns out.

Fortkentdad

Well - had a grand day merging two of my hobbies. Came home with a bag of model railway goodies and a few hundred images.

As luck would have it I was able to take in a seminar on " Photographing Your Model Railway" by Richard Poon - a professional photographer, educator and model railway enthusiast. My wife asked me if I learned anything after the presentation - I had, even though much of it was rather elementary, eg. explaining what a DSLR was and why you need one. I felt affirmed as his recommended lenses were a wide zoom (I'd brought my 24-70mm) and a macro, preferably the 100mm (I'd brought my 105)). I learned that depth of field is more difficult with miniatures (as my samples attest) and he recommended an aperture value of F8 to F16 or more. He touched on exposure, lighting (off camera is best for models - due to scale size), and composition. When shooting your own models you can set up lighting, use a tripod and do anything you like. Walking about a MRR Exhibition is a different set of challenges.

So what I took away. First, don't do what I did - shoot mostly at F/ 2.8 or 4. I did this because although I brought my SB700, I did not bring fresh batteries so had limited shots and lighting was poor, shooting hand held, even with high ISO I still chose to shoot wide open or close to it. Traded DOF for less grain.

Second if you can, shoot with a flash with diffuser, off the camera if you can.

Had I taken the workshop before the train show I'm thinking I might have been wise to use a camera bracket which allows the flash to be a foot or two about the lens. Which would be perfect (I'd look like a reporter from the 50's but whatever). I have not used that flash bracket much lately, took it with me for a month or so after I bought it but not lately. I found bounce flash worked as well and a nice big diffuser was also good. But in this particular application - shooting models on display - hand held. It would have been jim dandy - or at least I'm thinking it would. Will have to test out that theory.

I also learned that maybe I should 'invest' in some of those bright lamps. The price is a fraction of what they used to be. http://Opus Deluxe Beginner Lighting Kit - OPL-M402 for example is $160 CDN. From what I heard I'd need a pair. This would be for shooting my own models at home. And would be useful for many other applications like the 100th Birthday Party I'm shooting this weekend.

So what did I get - shooting wide open with limited DOF because silly me forgot batteries.

These are the types of shots I normally go for - more often the scenery and buildings rather than the trains themselves.

10mb DSC_1530+2016 EDM MRR Show -0053.jpg10MB DSC_1512+2016 EDM MRR Show -0048.jpg10mb DSC_1573+2016 EDM MRR Show -0074.jpg
I've reduced the DOF loss by just cropping out the in focus sweet spot.

Love to shoot the fun scenes - model railroad enthusiasts have a corny sense of humour.

10mb cops DSC_1848+2016 EDM MRR Show -0019.jpg
10mb LEGO Stand DSC_1577.jpg
The LEGO Train Display was very popular.

10mb oversize DSC_1593.jpg
There were more than a few crash scenes.

10mb Rober E Lee DSC_1580.jpg
And TV Take offs.

1mb corner gas DSC_1647+2016 EDM MRR Show -0118.jpg
Canadian's will get this one. (well older Canadians - from Saskatchewan).

But yesterday I began shooting people, the model railway enthusiasts, the visitors and the volunteers.

10mb volunteers DSC_1575+2016 EDM MRR Show -0075.jpg10mb DSC_1522+2016 EDM MRR Show -0050.jpg10mb DSC_1615+2016 EDM MRR Show -0098.jpg10mb Help Papa.jpg

The connection between old and young is great to see. I bet there are a lot of kids going to see "Papa's" trains at the show. Although the Thomas and other kids train toys were very popular tables at the vendors booths.

10mb Old Young DSC_1808.jpgDSC_1584+2016 EDM MRR Show -0080.jpgDSC_1729+2016 EDM MRR Show -0161.jpg

I tried to get the 'behind the scenes" shot.

1-0mb DSC_1785+2016 EDM MRR Show -0190.jpg10mb behind DSC_1696+2016 EDM MRR Show -0145.jpg

DSC_1751+2016 EDM MRR Show -0172.jpg
Oh I wish that one had turn out

And this one is one of my favourite shots of the day

10mb DSC_1755+2016 EDM MRR Show -0174.jpg

It was fun
I learned something
And spent my play money for another month.

Now saving for a Edmonton Photographic Trade Show Edmonton Photographic Trade Show

P.S. - will post a few more in Photographing the Photographer.

Last edited:

Danno

Love these. A buddy of mine does this. His set up is of a, now abandon, coal mine in Eastern Kentucky. He has the period correct cars as well. I am going to have to get over there and get some shots.

Sandpatch

Thanks Fortkentdad. Great stuff! Shooting models at home is tough enough, let alone at a show. Your pictures turned out super well!

Bikerbrent

Some really great shots. I really enjoy the sense of humor of some of the modelists, like the politically incorrect, but great fun General Lee shot