Media?Press?Photo Vests?

csgaraglino

More and more I am being stopped and asked to put on a safety vest while shooting.

I have always received specific vets at professional sports events and will always have to use theirs for that, but more and more nonprofessional events are requiring vests to separate the working photogs form the masses and they usually have some you can borrow.

Now local police are requiring that I must have a vest when covering public events that take place in city parks and/or on closed streets, covering police or fire activity, journalism activities, etc.

I know that if I am in the street/traffic for any reason shooting, I must have a vest.

I'm good with all this - and I do have my own vest that is always in my truck - but now I am being told that my vest must identify who I am as in it must have MEDIA, PRESS or PHOTO (something) clearly marked on the back in large letters that it can be read form a distance - like my camera or video gear doesn't convey that enough?

I understand why they want this and there are Pros/Cons to identifying yourself, but that's a different post.

I don't know what the proper etiquette is; what it should say, size, colors? This is a fairly new trend and standards don't seem to be available yet.

I'm a freelancer - so I don't have a organization specific vest and I don't always shoot for news - most of my work goes to magazines, blogs and different websites - even to companies/manufactures/sponsors. For example, I'm a frequent walk on at Pikes Peak International Raceway and I do very well selling images to sponsors of drivers that compete.

On the flip side I also shot a lot of Commercial Real Estate Development that puts me in the street quite often smack in the middle of traffic.

Like I said, I understand the need for a safety vest and I also understand the need for identification so that someone (police or otherwise) knows why/what I am doing.

But how do I identify myself? Am I MEDIA, PRESS or do I try to find a patch that says PHOTO? PHOTO patches over 5" are very hard to find.

Thoughts?

JH Foto

I have this problem with some out door events, I have a blue hi viz with the word Photographer on the back. They are cheap to buy and anywhere who do garments printing will do this in no time. Good luck...:)

GAH!! I look horrible in vests and Bedazzling does nothing to help... Any advice?

I found just the one for you bite me.jpg

I have never seen anyone wearing a vest that says they are a photographer or been anyplace that required one. I guess we are just to small town. Everyone knows me anyway. I do shoot in one building that requires me to wear a hardhat so I bought my own and have a sticker on the front that says "Photographer" All the construction people in the building stay clear of me and they all are very polite to me when I ask questions.

Sandpatch

Hi Vis vests are everywhere these days, so commonplace that I think their effect on safety has diminished. I have to wear one in my work ...... as do 800 other personnel in the plant. :rolleyes:

There was a small fire in the park down the street from where I live today. I grabbed my camera and drove down the street. Road was blocked by police. I stopped and asked if I could go in and shoot. They waved me around them. I parked near the park and walked in. Asked the fireman if I could shoot and he told me to have fun. They let me go anywhere I wanted and answered questions I had.
I don't guess I need a vest.

csgaraglino

After some serious online research I found a small shop downtown called EON Screenprinting here in Colorado Springs, CO. This place is awesome. I got my Vest online at Amazon and then Michael only charged me $8 bucks to get the identifying lettering on! The key is to ask for Vinyl - NOT Screenprinting!

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg