Scanning Old Family Photos

Fortkentdad

And so it begins - the project I've put off for a while.

I've set up a scanning workstation using an old PC ( as in six year old - ancient eh?) And a what used to be a good scanner (HP G4010) HP ScanJet G4010 Photo Scanner Specs - CNET Downloaded new Windows 10 compatible software. This one even does negatives and slides (have lots of those too). It has a larger bed and can scan up to nine images at once (as separate images).

But scanning higher quality takes time. A couple I did at 600 dpi max settings - several minutes per photo. Dropped to 300 dpi. much faster. Default is 200 dpi. That's faster still be I want better quality images.

Having set up the work station I just dove in. I have a antique cedar chest Mom gave me full of photos. Plus those that did not fit, Plus those I had before Mom's 'donation' to the project. They have been waiting for well over a year for me to get to it.

I got 180 done today - between other "honey-do" projects. That's 180 scanned to a jpg. I then take them to my main PC an edit them in Corel Paintshop Pro. Remove dirt scratches and clean them up sharpen, and otherwise enhanced them.

Photos go back to parents childhood. I have lots of people I don't know. Hopefully some of my living elderly relatives will be able to help me out - unfortunately only a couple of them are on line. Will have to go visiting with the lot loaded on my tablet and see how many they can identify. Both my Mom and Dad are getting on - and most of their older siblings have already passed on as have all my grandparents. And now we fear Mom has Alziemers.

Anyway - has anyone tackled a project like this? Any advice for this project which amounts to photographing photographs (that's what a scanner basically does right?)

baby Brenda grandma Beale on porch scan0092.jpgBunty passport 0001.jpgGranda Martha Beale Mom Brenda 0002.jpgGrandma Martha Beale and son Edward0001.jpg

This one is interesting - only one like it - it is a metal photograph
When looking at the original it is hard to make out anything, this scanned images if far better than the original.
I may try again and see if a different setting gets me a better image. Any tips on this one?
metal military photo0001.jpg
With the metal one was this one, my Uncle in WWII.
Uncle Fred Beale0001.jpg

Interesting side note - I skip over all the photos of things and landscapes - looking only at images of people - I wonder of all the images I take of landscapes, birds, flowers, etc. In the end the only ones that may interests others someday will be the family snapshots? Or not?

i have started and stopped my family scanning project several times over the years. Guess I need to get back to it. May be my "to cold to go out and shoot" winter project

Fortkentdad

It automatically breaks all nine images down into 9 separate .JPGs?

"Semi-automatically" - it tries to guess where one photo ends and another begins and it gets it most of the time but you need to review the pre-scan before clicking the "Scan Now" button. It also has various enhancements that you can select (by the photo if one of the nine needs something the others don't that works). It helps if all the photos line up (nine square photos laid out on a grid is more likely to get properly separated than a mix of different sizes - but it gets those most of the time too.

480sparky

"Semi-automatically" - it tries to guess where one photo ends and another begins and it gets it most of the time but you need to review the pre-scan before clicking the "Scan Now" button. It also has various enhancements that you can select (by the photo if one of the nine needs something the others don't that works). It helps if all the photos line up (nine square photos laid out on a grid is more likely to get properly separated than a mix of different sizes - but it gets those most of the time too.

Try AutoSplitter. Well worth the $25 or so.

Fortkentdad

Managed to get about 166 scanned of which I process 100 this weekend.

Made a little dint in the collection.

Found a baby shot of me I didn't know existed - here I am about 62 years ago

Infant David Allan 0016.jpg

And here I am with my first girl friend. The kilt sure works as a great chick magnet.
me and ____ scan0091.jpg