Old Lenses... Would you?

Ke_Ola!

So I have a photographer buddy who has a couple of old lenses for a Nikon that show no signs of degradation. They are:
-50mm f/1.8 (from the 80's) $40
-Vivtar 135mm f/1.8 (he says its pretty rare) $60

Just wondering if you would even consider buying these or just spend the extra cash on a newer lens. From the pics I've seen that he took with these lenses, they look really sharp and clean. And with these being older, they won't have an in-focus sensor(?), right? It would be completely optical focusing with these? Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Keola

silvertip

Ask your friend if he/she would let you use the lenses on your camera for a day. That way you would be able to see how they perform for you and if you are satisfied with the results. Happy shooting!

fotojack

Yup, what silvertip said. Nothing wrong with either of those lenses. Just remember..........some cameras have built in focus motors, some don't. Check your manual to see if yours is one of them ( I can't remember off hand). Either kind will work great in manual mode. $40 for a 50mm f1.8? .....grab it! :)

theregsy

I agree with Jack, if you can try before you buy, I have a f1.8 50mm Manual nikon lens that cost me about £40 off ebay, it is a great lens and produces very very sharp results. For those prices they are worth a go :)

LensWork

In addition to manual focus only with those lenses, you will have no exposure metering with your D5000 so you will need to guess at the exposure or get a hand-held light meter.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Another thing to think about is the fact that you might have to operate the lens with the aperture closed or at the selected aperture. I don't know if the d5000 will let you compose and shoot wide open like the D700 or D700 do?
To be without a light meter is one thing, but working and shooting at f8 you'll get quite a dark view in the finder.

So as someone else suggested, you might as well give the lenses a trial run to see how workable they would be with YOUR camera. 100 $ is kind of a great deal for the lenses ONLY IF they work on your camera.

kayte

LOL, personally I say grab them for that price. On my d80, they would work but I like manual focus and have had to actually tell myself there are times where I should use the auto. I would grab those and, honestly, jealous. Especially the 50mm....*drool*....oh well.

I have a Sigma 28mm that is used and older and I love it. Same with my other 2 Nikkors (70-210mm and 35-70mm) I love them...and they are at least 10+ years old.

So I would test them out and if they work, buy them

Bukitimah

I bought most of my stuff 'used' or 'pre-own'. of course the cosmetic may not be 100%, as long as they do not affect the output, I am OK. Anyway, I am not carrying a branded bag walking in a shopping mall.

Most importantly, you must know the source is reliable. The price quoted is simply 'cheap'. I would love to have them.

Ke_Ola!

I think I'm going to go ahead and buy them. He's a legit guy, and I trust his judgement. Hell, he's even using them this weekend, so I know they are still good to go. I can also get my hands on a 50mm 1.8 AF for $85... Should I go for that instead?? lol

As far as my camera, I'm looking to upgrade before the year's end, because I'm deploying again and want to bring a good camera to take some epic shots of the desert! lol So I'll be looking for a good body with a built-in auto focus motor and a higher resolution rear screen. Better low-light capability would be a plus too.

Bukitimah

Good for you. They way you wish for the stuff in your new camera, you will find that you need to upgrade again in no time. Every higher grade camera will have that extra. So to do that, buy the top range. Hahaha

michelle_m

since this thread is about 'old lenses', i have a question... I shoot with the D5000, and recently purchased a 2nd hand 50mm 1.8 for $80. yes, it's an older model, and of course my cameras ability to auto focus the lens is nil, so manual is fine with me. Here's the problem: I attach the lens, and if the lens aperture ring is not at its minimum (22), the camera will not operate... kinda pointless to have it if i can't drop it down to 1.8... any suggestions?? I would sooo very much appreciate any help!! :)

Bukitimah

Not sure I have the answer. Try setting to manual on your camera setting. That is you have this M, S, A and P on the dial. Set it to M mode and try again.

Last edited by a moderator:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy them. He's a legit guy, and I trust his judgement. Hell, he's even using them this weekend, so I know they are still good to go. I can also get my hands on a 50mm 1.8 AF for $85... Should I go for that instead?? lol

As far as my camera, I'm looking to upgrade before the year's end, because I'm deploying again and want to bring a good camera to take some epic shots of the desert! lol So I'll be looking for a good body with a built-in auto focus motor and a higher resolution rear screen. Better low-light capability would be a plus too.

I have a few old MF lenses myself and I have posted them on the D700 thread. If you intend to use them on the dessert, I wouldn't suggest this set-up especially if you intend to shoot landscape since the field of view is just too narrow using your D5100. Changing lenses out on the dessert is suicidal. You risk on getting those micro fine dust inside your camera. I would use something that has weather sealing (lens and camera combo). Using MF lenses takes time and patience in getting use to but it doesn't cost a lot to start. Good luck and stay safe.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
since this thread is about 'old lenses', i have a question…..Here's the problem: I attach the lens, and if the lens aperture ring is not at its minimum (22), the camera will not operate... kinda pointless to have it if i can't drop it down to 1.8... any suggestions?? I would sooo very much appreciate any help!! :)

Have you tried putting the lens at 22 and then using the front wheel to change the aperture…? I think some work that way but I'm not 100% sure.