Need thoughts on current lenses

rick.osgood

Hi all,

I have been plugging along for a few (many) years with my D40 and assorted lenses. I am no pro but will have the chance to travel to Costa Rica later this year and want to be able to get the best results for bird photography and landscape photography. This is a hobby and not a profession for me and I have a limited budget to make any changes.

Here is what I have now:

1. 55 - 200mm f4-5.6 AF-s Nikon
  2. 70 - 300mm f4-5.6 AF Nikon
  3. 18 - 55mm f3.5 -5.6 AF-s Nikon

The 70 - 300mm would be better with a newer body and I am looking at the D7100 for that. Would these lenses be enough or what should I be considering? Any feedback is appreciated.

TedG954

Hi all,

I have been plugging along for a few (many) years with my D40 and assorted lenses. I am no pro but will have the chance to travel to Costa Rica later this year and want to be able to get the best results for bird photography and landscape photography. This is a hobby and not a profession for me and I have a limited budget to make any changes.

Here is what I have now:

1. 55 - 200mm f4-5.6 AF-s Nikon
  2. 70 - 300mm f4-5.6 AF Nikon
  3. 18 - 55mm f3.5 -5.6 AF-s Nikon

The 70 - 300mm would be better with a newer body and I am looking at the D7100 for that. Would these lenses be enough or what should I be considering? Any feedback is appreciated.

You have everything you'll need. If you do your job, your camera and any/all of those lenses will produce excellent photos.

dnsmoor.w

You lug a lot of gear for travel! I have just replaced my 16-85 (broken, last trip...) and 70-300 with a new 16-80 and it is all I need for long trips. Great new lens by Nikon! It's on a D-7000!

Last edited: