Boy do I need to upgrade

rick.osgood

Hi all,

I have been plugging along for a few (many) years with my D40 and assorted lenses. I want to upgrade and am seriously looking at the D7100. I am no pro but will have the chance to travel to Costa Rica later this year and want to be able to get the best results for bird photography and landscape photography. This is a hobby and not a profession for me. I know the equipment will only take me so far but want the flexibility/versatility of a better body. I will post questions about upgrading lenses in the appropriate forum.

Would you say the D7100 is the right jump, too much, too little? Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Hi all,

I have been plugging along for a few (many) years with my D40 and assorted lenses. I want to upgrade and am seriously looking at the D7100. I am no pro but will have the chance to travel to Costa Rica latter this year and want to be able to get the best results. I like to do landscape, animals and family photos. This is a hobby and not a profession for me. I know the equipment will only take me so far but want the flexibility/versatility of a better body. I will post questions about upgrading lenses in the appropriate forum.

Would you say the D7100 is the right jump, too much, too little? Any feedback is appreciated.
IMO, there's no such thing as "too much body"; only a body you haven't learned to fully appreciate or that you under-utilize.

That being said, I can't think of a single reason NOT to make the jump to the D7100 if it fits your budget. Fantastic deals can be had on refurbs (often times with very good warranties) if you do a little looking around.

carguy

I went from a D40 to a D7100 a while back - I say make the jump.
Look at Nikon Refurbished bodies to save even more for glass :)

You should go for at least the D7100 as it allows focus fine tune which is essential for any lens you might use for bird photography.
If you are short of money see if you can get a Tokina 400mm F5.6 AF ...(sigma did one identical) ...fit a plastic tube over the focus ring as it rotation will drive you mad and use it at F8

Two sigma versions ..this one not the rubber thing...

Sigma AF 400mm f/5.6 Autofocus Telephoto Lens for Nikon AF | eBay

Last edited:

Danno

I bought a refurbished D7200. I believe when you make the jump to a D7100 or D7200 Refurbished is a really good option and it is a good deal over brand new, especially with the seller warranties included. I think you will find the D7100 a really good fit and that trip sounds like a good place to put it through its paces.

mauckcg

D7100 is a great camera. It has a built in focus motor so you can use older D series lenses that need a body mounted motor for auto focus. That will widen your lens selection with your monies.