Looking at something a little fishy - the Tokina 10-17 Fisheye Zoom

Fortkentdad

So, I'm thinking of adding to my glass collection - or as my wife puts it, giving into my lens lust.

The object of my desires this week - the Tokina 10-17mm Fishy Zoom.

Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX AF Fisheye Lens ATXAF107DXN

The Camera Store in Calgary has one on offer - for about $80 more, but I'd get a chance to try it out there and not pay B&H's "free" shipping fee.

I do have a Lensbaby 5.6 fisheye - and I like it. Just looking to add a better fisheye with an autofocus feature, one that actually communicates with the camera (The Lensbaby has no electronics so the camera is not even aware there is a lens attached).

It works, on both my FX D610 and my DX D90 / D5100, although a on the D610 it is only a portion of the image size - but I do get the full hallo effect (a Lensbaby 'intended' special effect). On the DX the hallo does not give a full circle but I do get all of the image.

DSC_3101+backyarding -0117.jpgDSC_3148+backyarding -0087.jpgDSC_3172+backyarding -0110.jpg
DSC_3237+backyarding -0102.jpg

I've read a lot of good things about the Tokina Fisheye Zoom. It is an older (9 years old?) lens but that does not concern me. I have many bits of vintage glass.

They also have a few Siggy' Fisheyes on offer: The FX. 8mm F 3.5 ($980) and DX 4.5mm F 2.8 ($985) and a DX 10mm F2.8 ($770).

The Tonkina 10-17mm fisheye zoom is $800. (Those are all CDN$).

I do like the option of the "port hole" round image. The Siggy 8 and 4.5 are circular. The 4.5mm is too close in focal length to my current 5.6 Lensbaby. The Tokina is not quite as fast but with a fisheye I don't think that is a big issue, and with higher ISO capacity I think I can compensate.

What Fisheye's do you recommend?

salukfan111

So, I'm thinking of adding to my glass collection - or as my wife puts it, giving into my lens lust.

The object of my desires this week - the Tokina 10-17mm Fishy Zoom.

Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX AF Fisheye Lens ATXAF107DXN

The Camera Store in Calgary has one on offer - for about $80 more, but I'd get a chance to try it out there and not pay B&H's "free" shipping fee.

I do have a Lensbaby 5.6 fisheye - and I like it. Just looking to add a better fisheye with an autofocus feature, one that actually communicates with the camera (The Lensbaby has no electronics so the camera is not even aware there is a lens attached).

It works, on both my FX D610 and my DX D90 / D5100, although a on the D610 it is only a portion of the image size - but I do get the full hallo effect (a Lensbaby 'intended' special effect). On the DX the hallo does not give a full circle but I do get all of the image.

View attachment 221271View attachment 221272View attachment 221273
View attachment 221274

I've read a lot of good things about the Tokina Fisheye Zoom. It is an older (9 years old?) lens but that does not concern me. I have many bits of vintage glass.

They also have a few Siggy' Fisheyes on offer: The FX. 8mm F 3.5 ($980) and DX 4.5mm F 2.8 ($985) and a DX 10mm F2.8 ($770).

The Tonkina 10-17mm fisheye zoom is $800. (Those are all CDN$).

I do like the option of the "port hole" round image. The Siggy 8 and 4.5 are circular. The 4.5mm is too close in focal length to my current 5.6 Lensbaby. The Tokina is not quite as fast but with a fisheye I don't think that is a big issue, and with higher ISO capacity I think I can compensate.

What Fisheye's do you recommend?

The angry photographer has a modification for the 10.5 nikon fisheye to make it true circular fisheye. It involves using aluminum to protect the lens and carefully cutting off petals. I'm not a fisheye guy or I'd try it.

Fortkentdad

Had a chance to try out a few fishy lenses at "The Camera Store" in Calgary. Came out empty handed. The Tokina really under-impressed. The one they had on offer did not have the removable lens hood and I just did not like how it focused (or rather didn't). And at $800 I'd really have to like it. Looked at their Sigma's on offer but none really got me to pry open my wallet - had hoped for a 15mm but they didn't have that one. Nikkors new were all well over $1,000.00

Closest I came to buying was a tempting Nikkor 10mm at $400 for a used one, but alas I found a mark on the lens which spoiled it. a bit of a scuff.

My dearly beloved looks very unimpressed - you this was shot on a D610

I could not identify the scuff on the front of the lens and maybe it would be OK - but ... I left it behind.

glenna DSC_9670 -1.jpg

Looking for a used Sigma 15mm, or perhaps a Samyang 12mm manual fisheye. (Aka Bower, Rokinon, and others).
https://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLenses/279826/samyang-12mm-f20-ultra-wide-angle-sony-e-black.aspx ..... 

my lens lust goes un-satisfied