d7100 body strong enough for a nikon 70-200mm

titoPhoto

I just ruined the body of my d3100 because it could not hold the weight of the 70-200mm. Is the D7100 or D7200 any stronger?
When I want to check pictures or do some setting, I need my 2 hand on the camera -> I can't alway's hold the body and have my hands on the controls buttons at same time. especially when I am standing.

On adjustment I mean, checking at pictures, zooming in-out. My D3100 do not have enough buttons also Wb or ISO on one button grr, time to upgrade.

Thanks

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Heavier lenses MUST be supported by holding the lens, not the camera body. Some heavier lenses come with a tripod collar. My Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 is fine on my D7100, but I always hold and carry it by the lens. Otherwise you will damage the camera's mount.

titoPhoto

When I want to check pictures or do some setting, I need my 2 hand on the camera -> I can't alway's hold the body and have my hands on the controls buttons at same time.

Danno

For making adjustments and the like I would not be concerned about holding the body with both hands on my D7200 for what little time it would take to make the few adjustments that require both hands in the field. The construction is much more rugged then the D3100 and the adjustments are much quicker on these cameras. They are not menu driven; buttons and wheels. I can only think of WB and ISO adjustments that require both hands. Everything else I can do supporting the lens because of the way the buttons work. I can even change the AF setting using my thumb while supporting the lens.

But I figure if they put a foot on the lens I should not suspend it from the body very often or for very long. It is that engineered solution thing. They added that foot for a reason.

nickt

I can only think of WB and ISO adjustments that require both hands.
I recently discovered menu f6 on the d7100/d7200. "release button to use dial". It lets you single press the iso button and then move on to the wheels to change the settings with one hand. Works for the other buttons too, but iso is my main concern. It still works if you hold the button while turning the wheel, so no old habits to break. I find it very handy when the big lens is on.

I just ruined the body of my d3100 because it could not hold the weight of the 70-200mm. Is the D7100 or D7200 any stronger?
When I want to check pictures or do some setting, I need my 2 hand on the camera -> I can't alway's hold the body and have my hands on the controls buttons at same time. especially when I am standing. On adjustment I mean, checking at pictures, zooming in-out. My D3100 do not have enough buttons also Wb or ISO on one button grr, time to upgrade.Thanks

I have the Tamron equivalent of that 70-200 f2.8 lens and I've used it on the D7100, on a tripod, mounted in the camera's tripod hole, not the lens bracket, which I have removed and never use. No damage to the lens mount. When hand-holding, I always put my left hand under the lens and hold the camera with my right hand.