Confused??

canuck257

I'm having a problem getting my head around fine tuning my focus/exposure settings. Simply put, I can't seem to figure out what button intiates exposure and when.:confused::confused::mad:

I'm usually shooting in Manual and I have the camera set up for back button Spot focus using the AF-ON button to focus (AF-C) and the Shutter release button to only trigger the shutter. What I can't seem to grasp is, does one or both of these buttons initiate the exposure metering system and, if both, is one prioritised? I have the Sub Command Dial Button (joystick) programmed to Group focus when depressed. Does this also trigger the exposure system?

Sorry if this is one of those "stupid" questions but I just don't get it!:sorrow::sorrow:

480sparky

If you're shooting in manual, there is no exposure for the camera to initiate. It will merely use the ISO, aperture and shutter speed you've selected.

Nikons are set up to turn on the meter with a half-press of the shutter button. Focus is, as you have set it up, using the AF button on the back (hence, Back-Button Focus), and has nothing to do with exposure or metering.

Horoscope Fish

I'm having a problem getting my head around fine tuning my focus/exposure settings. Simply put, I can't seem to figure out what button intiates exposure and when.:confused::confused::mad:

I'm usually shooting in Manual and I have the camera set up for back button Spot focus using the AF-ON button to focus (AF-C) and the Shutter release button to only trigger the shutter. What I can't seem to grasp is, does one or both of these buttons initiate the exposure metering system and, if both, is one prioritised? I have the Sub Command Dial Button (joystick) programmed to Group focus when depressed. Does this also trigger the exposure system?

Sorry if this is one of those "stupid" questions but I just don't get it!:sorrow::sorrow:
I've got my D7100 here with me (the D750 is in the car) and I too shoot in Manual mode using BBF. That being said, when the camera is active, and by this I mean the information display in the viewfinder is illuminated, the light meter is also "active". Neither the shutter-release button nor the AE-L/AF-L button need to be pressed to "wake up" the camera's internal light meter. I can tell the light meter is active because I have Auto-ISO enabled and without depressing any buttons the ISO changes to give me proper exposure (based on the shutter speed/aperture I have dialed in) based on the ambient light. Maybe it's different on the D500, I don't know, but I don't think either button affects metering.

canuck257

I've got my D7100 here with me (the D750 is in the car) and I too shoot in Manual mode using BBF. That being said, when the camera is active, and by this I mean the information display in the viewfinder is illuminated, the light meter is also "active". Neither the shutter-release button nor the AE-L/AF-L button need to be pressed to "wake up" the camera's internal light meter. I can tell the light meter is active because I have Auto-ISO enabled and without depressing any buttons the ISO changes to give me proper exposure (based on the shutter speed/aperture I have dialed in) based on the ambient light. Maybe it's different on the D500, I don't know, but I don't think either button affects metering.

So in simple terms, turning the power switch on activates the light meter system?

Horoscope Fish

So in simple terms, turning the power switch on activates the light meter system?
It does on my D7100, yes. I can shut off the camera, turn it back on and without having to press a button see the Exposure meter active in the viewfinder.

EDIT: Just went to the car and checked this on my D750; it acts exactly the same way.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Yes, turning on the camera activates the metering system, but it will time out after a number of seconds provided that you are not touching or engaging something that activates it or otherwise keeps it active.

I have a D500 set up, I believe, the same as you, with the shutter button set so that it does not engage the AF. Touching either the AF-ON button on the back or pressing the shutter button half way will engage the metering system, regardless of how else you have the camera set up (I also set my shutter button for AE-L when held). In manual mode the metering system still works if only to tell you where your exposure is, or to set ISO if using Auto ISO. If I leave my D500 turned on the battery does not run down over night. If I leave my D500 turned on with something leaning on the shutter button so the metering system stays on you can bet that the battery will be dead tomorrow. I know, it's happened.

Meter time out seems to be 6 seconds. I believe there's a custom menu setting where you can change that.