First Filters for Nikon d3200

Hi there

I am new to the forums here. I have had my nikon d3200 for just over a year now and finally decided to get some cokin filters, But i am not sure which ones will be best to get. I am looking at a starter set and i know ill need to get an adaptor. Please could someone reccomend some for me as a starting point. The lenses that i have currently got are the starter 18-55mm lens, a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens, and finally a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens.

Im hoping to get blurred effect with water in daylight, my wife and i will be going to london in august and hoping that filters will be a help with this effect, Also i live near rivers and want same effect, not sure which lens they will be best on. Im also lookign at light trails on tower bridge in london but wont need filters for this

weebee

Ah, so you're looking for ND filters. As for what lenses you'll need will depend on location/how close or far you are from the water. I would try to use your prime. But, again, that will depend on location. So, with that being said. I would use the 18-55. I'm not up to speed on the cokin adapters. So hopefully someone will chime in. I just found this article The Cokin Creative Filter System | explora I use nd filters that thread on my lenses. I got two sizes so I can use my 18-140. And my 35mm.

First off, welcome to the forum.

For the blurred effect with water in the daytime you are looking for a long exposure. For that you need a neutral density filter. BAsically it is a dark filter that blocks some of the light. I would also suggest a circular Polariser filter. That is good for taking away unwanted reflections and really making the sky beautiful.

Don't buy the cheapest filters you can find. The quality of the filter effects the quality of your photos. You don't have to buy the most expensive but certainly do not buy cheap. Also buy the filters in the size that fits your largest lens and then get step-down adapters to go to your smaller lenses.

Fred Kingston

Don... he said he's getting a Cokin... there are only 2 types of filters... relative to ND filters there's cheap, and there's Cokin

Same with the Polarizer... If he uses a Cokin mount, there's only one choice...

If he uses the Cokin system, within certain ranges, the size of the lens don't mean much because it uses a system of adapter rings to hold the single sized P mount... unless he choses the other Cokin sizes... Cokin is in process of resizing and relabeling their size differences...

To the OP... The nice thing with Cokin is there are quite a few low-cost options... You can start with the lower cost knock-offs... and if they suit your style and needs... you can always up-grade to the higher cost Cokin filters... Most folks start with the lower cost filters and stay there... Both the high cost and low cost filters are made of the same material... polycarbonate... It feels a whole low better to replace a $7 low cost filter that got scratched than replacing it with a $25 filter just because of the brand etched on the side.

Hi All

Thank you for the informative replies. Having erad what you all said, I am looking at getting 2 kits off amazon probably and will share the link below. Im also looking at getting 2 adaptor rings which will fit my 3 lenses. Im thinking they are the right ones. If someone could let me know if im wrong that would be great, ill wait till i hear from someone before purchasing :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cokin-H250...1_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=25EABZXF3W2FT02HNJAA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cokin-H270...g_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HZV1F106E8W7VF1J7ZFN

Danno

Welcome to the forum Adam. I purchased a Cokin P Series knock off to experiment with square filters, but I am just in the learning stage and can offer little advice except to mention that you only need one holder unless you want back up. I bought a single kit with both ND full and Gradient and then the subsequent adapters. That may save you some money.

Fred Kingston

Danno's correct... your links are for two complete sets including adaptors. You only need one kit, and then just the filter inserts from the other kit. Looks like they have a set of the Graduated NDs, for 1/3 of the full kit.

They also have a knockoff set that includes everything, adapter rings, filter holder, and a complete set of ND and Grad.ND filters for about 1/3