Abandoned farmhouse in Beresford SD

STM

I don't think I have posted this image before, if I have forgive me.

Beresford is little more than a crossroads in the heart of the South Dakota farmland. I passed this old abandoned farmhouse on my way back from Sioux Falls one weekend and had to stop. I have no idea when it was abandoned but given the condition of the house I am sure it was quite a long time ago. The texture in the cracked paint on the door and peeling wallpaper in the living room was just too much to pass up. The room was small, like all of them, so I literally had my back against the opposite wall, even with the 40mm f/4 Distagon (equivalent to roughly a 24mm lens on 35mm/FX). The entire downstairs floors were literally covered in both soil and cow manure. Since this was shot in the dead of February, with snow on the ground, there really was very little odor, thankfully. The things we have endure to get great images!

Upstairs I found cancelled checks strewn about the floor in one of the two bedrooms, many dating all the way back to 1939. I found one made out to the SD Farmer's Association for $1.25 dated December 6, 1941, the day before that "date that will live in infamy". That one was a keeper, a piece of 75 year old history! I laminated it, and have it tucked safely away in my desk drawer. It is a window into our country's past and until the next day at least, a reminder of a much simpler and naive time.

Beresford Farmhouse1.jpg