Cloudy Landscapes?

omgboost

I was in Toronto over the weekend and snapped a pic of the CN tower with some of the Toronto skyline. I feel that the picture is a bit cloudy and isn't as sharp as some of the landscape images I've seen here. Do I need to change any of the settings on my camera or is it more of a post-image processing technique to get the image sharper and not as cloudy?

I use a D7100 with 35mm lens.
_DSC2251.jpg

Blacktop

I was in Toronto over the weekend and snapped a pic of the CN tower with some of the Toronto skyline. I feel that the picture is a bit cloudy and isn't as sharp as some of the landscape images I've seen here. Do I need to change any of the settings on my camera or is it more of a post-image processing technique to get the image sharper and not as cloudy?

I use a D7100 with 35mm lens.
View attachment 213925

You could start by not using an F/1.8 aperture on landscapes. I would have shot this at least F/8 or wider.

You could start by not using an F/1.8 aperture on landscapes. I would have shot this at least F/8 or wider.

I have to agree. 1/8000 sec exposure is not needed at all. change to ISO 100 and f8 or even f16 just shoot at least 1/60 second unless you are on a speeding boat.

Also what mode are you shooting in? The shot may also be underexposed. How did the histogram look?

omgboost

I have to agree. 1/8000 sec exposure is not needed at all. change to ISO 100 and f8 or even f16 just shoot at least 1/60 second unless you are on a speeding boat.

Also what mode are you shooting in? The shot may also be underexposed. How did the histogram look?

Thanks for the tips guys. I always forget to change the aperture. I was using A mode. I'll have to make a mental note to remember to change the aperture when the lighting allows for it. Some of the times when I change it, my shutter speeds are too slow to take a stable picture by hand. That picture was taken on a ferry, but wouldn't be at speeds where I need that fast for a shutter.

I don't have the camera with me or any program to read the histrogram so I will improvise what the histogram looks like with a quick glance I took this morning. The histogram curve looked something like thishistograms_2.jpg

Fred Kingston

_DSC2251-1.jpg

Here's your pic. in LR...

auto tone applied at import
dehaze slider at +50
sharpening at +50
luminance (denoise) at +50
Took longer to type this than it took to process...