Anyone else with a D500 and Sigma 150-600mm Sport?

BackdoorArts

I've noticed on three occasions over the last two days that the image review screen on the D500 stayed on after shooting a burst of shots through the Sigma 150-600mm Sport. I remember there being an issue like this with the D5300 and some Sigma lenses, so I suspect it's a firmware thing that Sigma will eventually address, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this? It doesn't always happen, and I've yet to be able to reproduce it at will, but I believe it has something to do with shooting a burst of shots and then scrolling through them in some manner. I have my preview set so that it displays the histograms and twice it stuck with the window in that state, and one time with the image zoomed in to 100%.

hotflyer

I have both but have not noticed any problems.
However with the Sigma 24-105 art lens the image review stays on until a button is pressed. It's the same on the D500, D7200 and D810. Sigma says it is normal behaviour. I don't think so Sigma.

BackdoorArts

First off, please don't make this a bitch about Sigma compatibility thread. There have been problems before with Sigma compatibility and in every case that I've experienced they've released a firmware upgrade and applied it for free (you need to pay to ship the lens to them if it's not USB dock compatible). When I got the D750 I had to send back 4 lenses, but they turned them around in 4 days and everything worked great when I got them back. It's the cost of using 3d party lenses - lenses I happen to like quite a lot.

I've spoken with Sigma and I now have a case open with Sigma Japan where they're looking into it. It seems no one else has reported this issue to them, and I have not found anyone on any other forum who has experienced this. I get the issue every time I'm out shooting with it, but I cannot faithfully recreate it at will. Closest I can come to for a set of steps is this:

1. Camera is on but hasn't been shot in at least 5 minutes (ie. timers have all reset).
2. Set image review so that it displays the image with histograms and all image information (1 up from the normal view).
3. Using back button focus (shutter button set to AE-L) fire a burst of at least 5 frames.
4. Immediately review the images shot and use the center button of the multi-selector to do a 100% zoom and then move around within the image.
5. Set the camera down while still in review (don't touch the AF-ON or shutter buttons).

At this point the image just stays on. Again, not every time, but it does.

I'm trying to suss out if it's some combination of steps or possibly the fact that I'm using some combination of settings on both the camera (the D500 gives you a choice of display order after burst, plus the ability to change the function of the shutter button 1/2 press) and the lens (I use one of the custom settings to specify the harder OS lock). The fact that others can't get it may be because there camera and/or lens is set differently. Thankfully Sigma has been responsive to the issue, or they're at least glad-handing me as I deal with it.

It's more frustrating than problematic as it's something I can fix the minute I see it happening. Worst case is that it burns the battery down, which is a problem since the D500 battery drain is an issue anyway. But it would never make me dump any part of this combination.

BackdoorArts

OK, I went out on the deck to shoot some with the D500 and the 70-200mm f4 today and after about 20 minutes something made me think about a Kenko 2X teleconverter I had sitting in a drawer. I decided to put that on there and, wouldn't you know it, the same thing happened - image review stays on until I hit a button. It happened 4 times over the course of an hour of shooting. No rhyme or reason as to when it would and wouldn't happen, but it happened.

This tells me that the 150-600mm is not the problem, at least not specifically. I'd done a lot of shooting with the 70-200mm without the TC and never experienced this, so I'm now thinking that it's the D500 not playing well with 3rd party gear.

I plan on calling Nikon and asking about this, but I fully expect (and will be disgusted by) the answer, "Nikon recommends you only use Nikon lenses on your D500". I get that, but it's really not realistic in the real world, and certainly anything but customer friendly.

I'll keep you posted on what I find, and I may play with the TC and other lenses as well as I have time.

Whiskeyman

I plan on calling Nikon and asking about this, but I fully expect (and will be disgusted by) the answer, "Nikon recommends you only use Nikon lenses on your D500". I get that, but it's really not realistic in the real world, and certainly anything but customer friendly.

I'll keep you posted on what I find, and I may play with the TC and other lenses as well as I have time.

Jake,

If Nikon service does say that, and like you, I tend to think that they will, my response would likely be something like "And I highly recommend you price your lenses more like your 3rd party competitors." Of course that isn't realistic either, but they could treat their faithful customers (all others, too) out better than they do, and from what I see here, you are a very loyal Nikon customer/user.

I look forward to your posts about this in the future, and I hope you get a solid resolution from Nikon on this.

WM