Using 'S' mode for video in the D5300?

JasonInAK

I'm using the Nikon D5300 for scientific video recording via HDMI (sending HMDI from the D5300 to an external recorder). I need to find a way to set the shutter speed the D5300 uses for video (or more accurately for its live view HDMI transmission), because I need to use a fast shutter speed to reduce motion blur. But I cannot use 'M' mode because I need some autoexposure capability to allow the camera to adjust to changes in lighting while placed in a location where I cannot access it to change exposure settings.

So I would like to use 'S' mode to fix the shutter speed while the camera autoexposes via ISO and/or aperture. However, when I'm using live view in 'S' mode, the camera seems to be actually using whatever shutter speed it wants (even though the one I set is shown on the display) -- I can change it from 1/30 to 1/4000 without any apparent changes in brightness, motion blurring, etc. So it's acting like it's in 'P' mode rather than 'S' mode.

So, does anyone know how can I get 'S' mode behavior for video?

RobV

Wow, 6 days and no response.
You may have to go to Nikon customer service for this one.

I would be interested in seeing the results! I LOVE science!

JasonInAK

I've been in touch with Nikon, too. It took a while to get an answer that was really responsive to the question, but here's their latest:

The reason you don't see a change when changing the shutter speed before shooting videos is because while recording the shutter will always stay open. If using aperture priority mode you can change the aperture to give a different depth of field but the shutter will remain open the entire time so the shutter speed won't apply.

So, basically, 'S' mode is meaningless for video. That's frustrating and it's clearly not something they made clear in their marketing of the camera's manual video capabilities. For my work, it looks like I'll have no choice but to either use aperture priority and accept the associated motion blur, or use full manual (which respects shutter speed settings) and try to film when variation in lighting is at a minimum.

RobV

It sounds to me like you are trying to use what you have, when you probably need a camera that is video-specific. ($$)