Hello... I'm new, with a question

Hello from San Antonio, Texas... and wasn't sure where to ask my question. I just recently decided to get into taking better pictures. I bought a D5500 that came with the 18-55 lens. The same day it arrived, I found a deal on craigslist for a D5000 with a 55-200 and 35mm lens, along with a decent camera bag, for $225. I was mainly getting it for the lenses to use with the D5500, but the D5000 works well too...except apparently I need to clean the sensor.

I've already searched here on the forums, read some tutorials, watched youtube vids, and I feel confident enough to try wet cleaning the sensor if I have to. I'm going to get a bulb blower and try that first. My question is which sensor swab and solution to use or does it even matter? I see most people using the Photographic Solutions swabs and Eclipse, but there's also Visible Dust, Altura, VSGO, etc., that are all cheaper. Am I going to screw the sensor up trying to save $20 or so?
:confused:

weebee

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you got a great deal on Craig's list. Did the seller say they tried to clean the sensor? One great tool to have is the Carson lighted loupe for examining the sensor and mirror.
Amazon.com : Carson Camera Sensor Magnifier - 4.5 x 30mm (SM-44) : Magnifiers : Camera & Photo
I've used the Sensor Swab Plus with eclipse. They work very well. And a rocket blower is a must have as well. NEVER use canned air!
Have you tried the sensor clean feature on the D5000 yet?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi and welcome!

The only swabs I've used are the ones you mentioned with the Eclipse solution. And I use the loupe that @weebee linked, too.

If you haven't yet purchased a rocket blower, I'd suggest the Giottos rocket blasters. They come in 3 sizes. The large works the best but doesn't always fit well in a camera bag. The medium also works pretty well, but the small didn't cut it for me. This brand has some type of filter that prevents it from sucking in dust then spraying it out inside the camera body.

Here's a link to their large rocket blaster: Amazon.com : Giottos Rocket Air Blaster Air Blower, Large : Camera Cleaning Kits : Camera & Photo

MaxBlake

Greetings from Oregon, and welcome. Nice find on craigslist; that's a heck of a price for the items you got, even if they do need some scrubbing up. I, too, have had good luck with the gel stick that Don recommended (above). Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Thanks for the welcomes. The D5000 does the sensor cleaning every time it's turned on, but it hasn't seemed to do anything. I'm going to get one of the rocket blowers and try that first. If I have to do the wet cleaning I'll just stick with the Sensor Swabs and Eclipse and probably get one of those lighted loupes. I'm intrigued by the gel stick though.

Thanks for the welcomes. The D5000 does the sensor cleaning every time it's turned on, but it hasn't seemed to do anything. I'm going to get one of the rocket blowers and try that first. If I have to do the wet cleaning I'll just stick with the Sensor Swabs and Eclipse and probably get one of those lighted loupes. I'm intrigued by the gel stick though.

I bought mine when I was shooting with a D5100 and have used it since on a D7000, D7100 and even my D750. It is very simple and I believe it is one of the safest methods of cleaning. There are several youtube videos on it. Check them out

Just wanted to update what I ended up doing. I first got the Giottos rocket blower and although it works well, it didn't clear away the spot. I decided to do the wet cleaning and got some Eclipse fluid and a pack of the VSGO swabs - Amazon.com : APS-C Frame (CCD/CMOS) Digital Camera Sensor Cleaning Swab Type 2 Cleaning Kit (Box of 10 X 16mm Swab) : Camera & Photo. I didn't bother with the lighted loupe and used a bright light mounted over my work area. When I locked the mirror I was easily able to see the offending spot on the sensor. The rest of the sensor looked clean. I applied 2 drops to the swab and ran it across the sensor, but it didn't clear it. I took another test shot and it seemed to have made it smaller or broken it down some. I applied more Eclipse to another swab and did it again. And again. At this point I recognize it's just stuck on. Most things I read said you have to keep running swabs over it until it's clear, but it wasn't doing anything. So I said screw it, applied some Eclipse to the corner of the swab paddle and I rubbed on the spot as gently as I could. Sure enough it came off. I used one last swab with Eclipse over the whole sensor and yay!; Out damn spot, out! The wet cleaning is definitely one of those things that makes you nervous about doing it, but once you actually do it you realize you were freaking out for nothing. Thanks for the help and the welcomes!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Welcome to Nikonites. It looks like from your success in cleaning the 5000 sensor, that joining this knowledgeable group has already paid off. Ha!