Using A Tripod !!

mdq8

Hi guys ...

Do i have to use a tripod every time I'm not shooting in Auto Mode ( Aperture mode or Shutter Priority mode ) ?

Thanks ...

Not at all. First off shooting in Auto is not the best choice for shooting. Pretty much any of the other modes are better. Once you get out of Auto you will have to pick your ISO but depending on which camera there are auto ISO modes that are great. The thing you have to remember when shooting in any mode is using the correct shutter speed based on what lens you are using. You need to learn the Reciprocal Rule.

The reciprocal rule is based on the fact that at slower shutter speeds any slight camera movement will cause some motion blur in your photo.Fortunately the opposite is also true, in that the faster the shutter speed is the sharper your images are likely to be.

the effective focal length of your lens is 100mm then your shutter speed should not be any lower than 1/100 of a second. So the basic formula looks like this: Shutter Speed = 1/focal length.

Read the full article at http://www.practicalphotographytips.com/avoiding-camera-shake.html
Remember to take into account the additional focal length if you shoot with a DX camera. That same 100mm lens with DX you need to shoot at 1/150sec or the next faster speed your camera has.

Also it will help us to answer questions better if you will list your camera

If you fill out your profile and add the camera gear we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Under camera just put the model number like D7100; Once you put the first letter like D you will see a list of all the cameras in the database pop up. The more numbers you put in the smaller the list becomes. When you see your camera just click on it, Be sure to click on "Save Changes" in the lower right corner.

Thanks

mdq8

Thanks so much for the informative reply, I'm using a Nikon D5100, its not listed unfortunately .
To understand more,If I'm using my AF-S 18-55mm lens, what is the minimum shutter speed i should use ?

Thanks again
P.S. The link is not working

paul_b

No, a tripod is normally only used to prevent camera shake. Camera shake is much more of a problem at slower shutter speeds, which produce more movement blur by the camera. Think about it, if you make your shutter speed faster the camera has less time to capture any of its shake.

Have a look at these YouTube tutorial videos to learn about aperture, shutter speed and iso:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzgALhGF8_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzn6yKTVcfs

Also, this tutorial website is great for interactively learning about how the exposure triangle works:

Aperture, shutter and ISO value

Glad to help

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the informative reply, I'm using a Nikon D5100, its not listed unfortunately .
To understand more,If I'm using my AF-S 18-55mm lens, what is the minimum shutter speed i should use ?

Thanks again
P.S. The link is not working

It is listed. i just checked. When you scroll down to the box to add your camera just Type in D5100 and nothing else and it should pop up below the box and then just click on it.

crashton

I agree with Paul I used to be able to shoot sharp at 1/15, but these days I'm up to 1/60 on a good day. VR is a lifesaver for me. When on a tripod turn it off.

paul_b

I agree with Paul I used to be able to shoot sharp at 1/15, but these days I'm up to 1/60 on a good day. VR is a lifesaver for me. When on a tripod turn it off.
I should of added that most of my minimum 1/60th of second shots are of my 5 year old child that wouldn't know how to sit completely still if her life depended on it, lol

paul_b

Just out of interest, why do we turn off VR if on a tripod?

Danno

I try to do 1 1/2 to 2 times the focal length when when shooting hand held. Some times if I can find something to steady against I will go lower. A monopod helps too.

crashton

Just out of interest, why do we turn off VR if on a tripod?

I turn it off because that is what Nikon recommends. If you have a steady tripod there is really no reason to use VR. I have read some folks find soft images when using VR with a camera mounted on a tripod. If you do a search you find many opinions on the subject. I just posted mine.

paul_b

I turn it off because that is what Nikon recommends. If you have a steady tripod there is really no reason to use VR. I have read some folks find soft images when using VR with a camera mounted on a tripod. If you do a search you find many opinions on the subject. I just posted mine.
Good to know, thanks :)