Fine Tuning Lenses???

NikonShuterBug

I recently purchased a Refurbished D7100, updating from the D5300. I came across this reply to a thread pertaining to a gentleman that had just received his D7100.

"One of the first things you need to do is to study up on "Fine Tuning" of all your lenses".

I have two lenses and would like to know what the suggested procedure is, or where to find info to fine tune my lenses. I suppose the lens is being tuned to the camera. Thanks.

Nikon Kit Lens 18-140mm VR
Nikon Prime 35mm F1.8 G

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Also you may find more info by searching "Fine Tuning Lenses" I know there are some threads in the forum with more methods. Hope this helps. I need to play with mine one of these days. Ha!

Whiskeyman

I recommend that you look on youtube for Nikon specific tuning techniques. There are several methods, and tools you can purchase to aid in fine tuning your autofocus. I have a D7100 that I purchased as a refurb, and its focus is a real headache, with autofocus consistency being an issue.

On of the easiest methods is to take a photo of a flat, non-glossy page with fine print on it, from a tripod, and cycle through the fine tune settings. Shoot in RAW format and then pick the sharpest shot of the lot; that should be the setting for that lens. Use a large, if not the largest aperture, of the lens for this. This has to be accomplished for each lens you will use on the camera, but your camera will remember the setting you make for each lens.

WM

Last edited: