Scottish entry

crb999

Hi all, new to this site and have thrashed around a bit but eventually got 8 pictures into my gallery. All have a focus problem and I'm concerned.

The camera is the D5500 which I have just changed to after some years with the D2X and the D2X so, to an extent, I was used to the Nikon layered menu techniques.

I am upset that sharp I tyres elude me. I have used remote control of the tripod mounted camera and can see no difference between those and others taken hand held. The 8 I have uploaded were all hand held. So, I now have four or five hundred Unsharp pictures and depression is setting in.

Is it the camera or am I missing something?

4 of the uploaded pix were apature priority, the other 4 program.

Any and all guidance gratefully received. I don't mind if the problem turns out to be me but I do want crop pictures.

Thanks all and this is a great site and resource.

Regards

Chris

nickt

Your shots have shutter speeds in the 1000's and iso's from 640 to 1600. With all the light you had and no fast motion to freeze, you could lower the shutter speed some to get the iso down for better quality. Keep your lens stopped down a bit when you have enough light (as you did).

Your shots dont really look out of focus to me, but be aware of your focus point. You can see the focus points used in Nikon software or see it in-camera. Also, I assume you are shooting jpg. You could tweak up the sharpness, etc in the picture control settings.

There were some focus tips and picture control settings tips given here yesterday:

http://nikonites.com/new-member-int...estion.html?highlight=sharpness#axzz46B6J1V3a

If you need help understanding the exposure triangle, try these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8T94sdiNjc

Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

crb999

Thanks Charlie

Hi Nick,

Those are from a few hundred shots and I deliberately went for high shutter speeds to eliminate any shudder from me.

Of course I can sharpen but I want crisp shots to work with not ones that need correction from the off!

If this is the standard I should expect from the D5500 then I have made a serious mistake.

The D1X was brilliant, the D2X was super brilliant and although I did not expect to exactly repeat those performances I did expect to do a lot better than this.

I have taken shots, like that white wall with a single focus point, hoping to see somewhere on that picture, where the focus was crisp. But it isn't is it. None of it I quite right.. In that shot I allowed for a narrow depth of field but the focus is constant across it, which you might expect with that apature and speed.

However, to your eye they are in focus so what is the ingredient I'm missing and mixing up with focus?

Thanks for your insight and input but I'm still disturbed :)

Regards

Chris

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Welcome Chris. If you are just shooting jpeg, you may want to go into the camera settings and increase the sharpness setting to 6 or 7 for the different shooting modes. Nikon sets the default a little soft. I can't remember who it is (might be [MENTION=6277]Don Kuykendall[/MENTION]) who sometimes jumps in with this recommendation as well as other settings to change to improve the jpeg output.

I only had time to look at a few of your shots, but it seems that the contrast could also be increased a tad bit. (I'm no expert, however. Just learning myself.)

crb999

Thanks Cwgrzzz, I'm shooting jpegs + nef and any picture I want to follow up comes from the nefs. I'm with you on the contrast too but really it is the general failure to provide a crisp image that I am unhappy about.

Regards

Chris

crb999

What a warm welcome! Thanks you ladies and gentlemen. I took some pictures yesterday. 125 ASA 35m f/1.8 lens which, due to the magic of the built in wifi, I have already transferred to my samsung tablet however, to load them on here I have to copy them to the desktop computer, reduce their size and move them back to the Samsung and then post them and I will but not just yet.
A motor cycle forum I have seen does that automatically. I'll look for an app.
Regards

Chris

Ps found an app, now to find out how to post pix! :)

Last edited: