ICC color profile produces wrong colors

MinnBen

I tried out a new printing lab (White House Custom Color) and after sending a few images to them I received some test prints. After calibrating my monitor I compared the prints to the images on my screen and they looked very close in color (though not quite perfect). I then downloaded their ICC profile and when I did a soft proof using it, the colors were WAY off...totally unsaturated. Maybe I don't need to worry about it since I was happy with the test prints, but I do want to understand why this might be the case. Any ideas of what could be going wrong?

Moab Man

My answer reminds me of this commercial I see for lawn mowers, "It's not how fast you mow, but how well you mow fast."

Off the top of my head I would ask are you using a color calibrated monitor intended for photography or a computer monitor that you have calibrated? There is a world of difference and variance depending on the quality of the computer monitor. Some calibrate better than others.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My answer reminds me of this commercial I see for lawn mowers, "It's not how fast you mow, but how well you mow fast."

Off the top of my head I would ask are you using a color calibrated monitor intended for photography or a computer monitor that you have calibrated? There is a world of difference and variance depending on the quality of the computer monitor. Some calibrate better than others.

Would it be possible for you to start a new thread and explain the differences between photography monitors vs. computer monitors? At some point in the future, I want to get a new desktop and would appreciate the info. I wasn't aware there are specific monitors for photography. Thanks for any consideration! ;)

Moab Man

Would it be possible for you to start a new thread and explain the differences between photography monitors vs. computer monitors? At some point in the future, I want to get a new desktop and would appreciate the info. I wasn't aware there are specific monitors for photography. Thanks for any consideration! ;)

I can do that. Just need to grab a screen shot or two to put something together.