Upgrade to D750 instead of wide angle for current D7000 ??

Camera Fun

I've been considering a wide angle for my D7000; not ultra wide but something down to a 15/16 mm focal length and I keep coming back to the Tamron 15-30. However, I'm now wondering about putting the funds (which I need to still save) for the lens towards upgrading to a D750 instead. Going FX is something I would like to achieve and I'm also thinking that my current Tamron 24-70 2.8 on the D750 might mean that I wouldn't need to get anything wider in the future for me.
So what are your thoughts on moving from a D7000 to a D750? I do general photography (events, people, outdoor, etc.). Low light capability is important as I sometimes take photos during church events/services (a big reason I got the Tamron 24-70).
Thanks

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you think down the road you might switch to FX, then I'd suggest not putting the money into DX glass. I have the D750 and use it with a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 and love it. The D750 is amazing and has a better sensor than your D7000. If you are going to keep your D7000, since it is DX, it will work well for macro or long telephoto shots. Besides, it looks like you already own the Nikon 18-105mm DX lens.

dullbird

I would put your money in to FX glass first by the time you have what you want FX bodies would have likely moved on once again then you can concentrate on getting one of the latest FX bodies and you will already have the glass to put on the front of it.

Sent from the right side of the brain

Camera Fun

With my current Tamrons (24-70 and 70-300), I'm thinking I would be set up for something like a D750 and not need to add a wide angle FX lens now or later. The D7000 & 18-105 would then be a backup or maybe for a family member.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
With my current Tamrons (24-70 and 70-300), I'm thinking I would be set up for something like a D750 and not need to add a wide angle FX lens now or later.

I don't know the quality of images taken with Tamron's 70-300mm lens, but if the glass isn't good, you will definitely see the difference between photos taken with DX vs. FX. Full frame will really show the limitations of a lens--if there are any--which aren't as obvious when shooting DX. The center of the glass will be the sharpest which is what is used for DX, but when shooting FX, you see the weaknesses of the glass especially around the edges.

My Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR is a great lens on both DX and FX. Just keep it in mind if you switch to FX. ;)

Camera Fun

I don't know the quality of images taken with Tamron's 70-300mm lens, but if the glass isn't good, you will definitely see the difference between photos taken with DX vs. FX. Full frame will really show the limitations of a lens--if there are any--which aren't as obvious when shooting DX. The center of the glass will be the sharpest which is what is used for DX, but when shooting FX, you see the weaknesses of the glass especially around the edges.

My Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR is a great lens on both DX and FX. Just keep it in mind if you switch to FX. ;)

Thanks for reminding me of this aspect.

Bill16

The tamron 15-30 is a FX lens and wouldn't be much of a wide angle lens on a D7000, but on a D750 it would be a very wide angle lens.
I am a big fan of my FX Nikons and I would highly recommend FX Nikon's to people who can afford them and that are sure that it would fit their needs!:)
But I agree with my friend Cindy (hark) that lens quality will need to be really good or you might feel unhappy with the photos your getting from your new FX.

Osantacruz

D750 and the 15-30mm are an amazing combo. I love that lens! Depends what other lenses you have. If the rest are DX, you'll need to pay a lot to replace them. 24mm is pretty wide but can't touch the wide view of the 15-30mm.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

aroy

I would go for FX body, as then wide is wide. Have you tried older AIS lenses - 20mm and 28mm F2.8 are stellar.

hrstrat57

@aroy and @hark are spot on....

Save for FX by not spending further on DX gear. Current lenses will render the D7000 a good backup, paired with a D750 = what a great combo!

I think AF and VR on a Nikkor wide angle lens offer little value. The Ai / Ais suggestion is not to be overlooked!