Vibration reduction for wide angle lens?

Camera Fun

Is vibration reduction worthwhile for a wide angle lens? I want to add a wa lens (hopefully in a year or so) and have been looking at some potential options. I have the following criteria set for what I want:
Approximate focal length range of 15/16 to 30/35
FX in case I upgrade from the D7000 someday
Constant aperture (prefer 2.8 but would consider 4)
I don't find myself using the vibration reduction/control on my current lenses so I'm starting to wonder if it's not needed.
Any thoughts/guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks.

skene

depends on what you plan is when it comes down to using the WA. if you are going to be shooting landscape shots and are always using a tripod/monopod, then you may not need any type of VR. However if you find yourself on the go, VR would be worth it.
My suggestion is to check out the Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC, or Nikon 16-35 4 VR.

WayneF

Longer focal length magnifies the image and also the shake in the image. This is why a rule of thumb for hand-holding lenses is 1/(focal length) seconds of shutter speed (or 1/(fl x 1.5) seconds for DX). Not fail-safe, but for short focal lengths, this becomes less important, since the shutter speed is probably already sufficient.

Last edited:

Camera Fun

Most of the time I tend to be moving around and not using a tripod (but I do have one). Landscapes aren't something I do right now but might be a possibility in the future. Most likely looking at wide shots for groups, special events, etc. I have considered the both the Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC and the Nikon 16-35 4 VR. I like the 2.8 option of the Tamron but prefer the cost range of the Nikon. I consider my Tamron 24-70 that I was able to late last year as my main lens; with my Tamron 70-300 and whatever future wide angle to be more special circumstance lenses.

Danno

I did not focus on FX when I got my wide angle. I wanted as wide as possible for the landscape shots I like to shoot and for the architecture. I bought the Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DX HSM.

I read quite a few reviews regarding WA lenses focusing specifically on the VR. Most indicated that it was not as vital on this type of lens. Mine does not have vibration reduction and I can say i do not miss it. My shutter speed is always at many times my focal length and I really have not had an issue without it. I use it quite a bit on my D7200 and the shots are usually quite crisp unless I do something foolish in the settings... which can happen.

Good luck in your search. Do remember the crop factor too... it really narrows that WA lens quickly. I got to play with a few and that was what drove me to the 10-20 mm which really has a field of view of a 15-30.

Osantacruz

I love having VR on my Tamron 15-30. It's an amazingly sharp lens and I tend to run around with that lens without a tripod without any issues

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk