Can't find the answer anywhere

Jessica Clark

Hi all,
I'm brand new here but I can't find anything about this problem online and I am kinda getting impatient for an answer- doesn't matter I have to get something fixed or its just an oops on my part.
I have a D3200 and it was four years I wanted this camera- so I finally got it and I've been taking plenty of photos, mostly of my dogs but hey whatever- I take most of the shots on the lowest aperture my lens will allow, 3.5. Randomly out of what seems like nowhere my camera won't even go down to a 3.5. I use an 18-55 lens and I've fiddled with everything and the lens rotates fine but for some reason when it's on the lowest point instead of reading 3.5 like it always has, it only reads to 4.5. So the lowest it seems to want to go is 4.5- which I can't seem to understand? Is it broken or do I just need a refresher on settings?

Like I said I'm brand new here and to this camera and I really have everything to learn and I'm not to proud to say 'my mistake' but I just don't get what I did? Is this a common thing? What do I do to fix it? What do I do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

If I didn't explain well enough please let me know!

Thank you so much!!!

Its only f3.5 at 18mm so if you zoom in it will rise and by 55 mm be f5.6......If you set the camera for f3.5 it will only display the best/nearest it can at the focal length .

If you set for f8 it will stay at f8 whatever the zoom.

you could have nudged the control wheel on the back( top right) which changed the 3.5 to 4.5 as a minimum

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

Hi all,
I'm brand new here but I can't find anything about this problem online and I am kinda getting impatient for an answer- doesn't matter I have to get something fixed or its just an oops on my part.
I have a D3200 and it was four years I wanted this camera- so I finally got it and I've been taking plenty of photos, mostly of my dogs but hey whatever- I take most of the shots on the lowest aperture my lens will allow, 3.5. Randomly out of what seems like nowhere my camera won't even go down to a 3.5. I use an 18-55 lens and I've fiddled with everything and the lens rotates fine but for some reason when it's on the lowest point instead of reading 3.5 like it always has, it only reads to 4.5. So the lowest it seems to want to go is 4.5- which I can't seem to understand? Is it broken or do I just need a refresher on settings?

Like I said I'm brand new here and to this camera and I really have everything to learn and I'm not to proud to say 'my mistake' but I just don't get what I did? Is this a common thing? What do I do to fix it? What do I do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

If I didn't explain well enough please let me know!

Thank you so much!!!

The stock 18-55mm lens has an aperture that is not constant with the focal length. Zoomed all the way out to 18mm, it will open as wide as ƒ/3.5. At the other end—at 55mm—it only goes to ƒ/5.6. That's just the way it is with this lens.

Danno

It would help to know what mode you were shooting in. If it is auto, M, A, S or P. It could very well just be the zoom setting on the lens or you could have inadvertently changed the aperture or be in S or shutter priority and the camera could be deciding for you. It would help to see some photos with the exif data. I know there are a few guys here that have instructions on how to upload so you include that. I am sure they will chime in to help.

Jessica Clark

I changed my settings in AP to a f 4.5 and didn't realize it affected my setting back in manual.
Switched it back down to 3.5 in AP- changed settings back to Manual and there she was- 3.5!
Thank you for you helpful comment- I appreciate it!

Thanks everyone too- lesson learned. Glad to have my 3.5 back!!

aroy

I changed my settings in AP to a f 4.5 and didn't realize it affected my setting back in manual.
Switched it back down to 3.5 in AP- changed settings back to Manual and there she was- 3.5!
Thank you for you helpful comment- I appreciate it!

Thanks everyone too- lesson learned. Glad to have my 3.5 back!!
The F3.5 will change as you zoom to higher focal lengths and max out at F5.6 at 55mm. If you want faster aperture, then I suggest that you get the 35mm F1.8DX. It an excellent lens and quite reasonably priced - mostly around US $ 170. It will give you excellent isolation at F1.8.