Lens recognition

Bukitimah

I read some where that D300 has this feature. Each lens has it's own special setting that would provide the best focus. You can set this in your camera and whenever you attach that lens to the body it would auto set to that setting?
Look through the manual but couldn't find where to do this. Have you guys tried?

Joseph Bautsch

Like you, I have never heard of such a feature. If someone out there knows of it please chime in. The camera has auto focus and will focus on your subject when the shutter button is pressed halfway down, but you probably already know that. I don't know of any Nikon camera that will auto focus without pressing the shutter button halfway down. It's what tells the camera you're ready to take a shot. It makes no difference what lens you mount on the camera... the auto focus system is TTL and uses the subject contrast as the basis for focusing. (Unless you have the camera set on manual focus or you are using a lens that is manual focus only). The manual is almost always the best place to find your camera functions and settings. If its not there, it probably doesn't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bukitimah

What u read is that not all lenses are sharpest at all distances. The camera allows you to set that and as long as you use that particular type of lens, it auto sets to that distance for you. However, if someone else uses your camera and happens to use his own lens of the similar model, the camera will still go to the same setting. You therefore need to reset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Bautsch

OK, I think I understand what you are looking for. Go to page 327 of your users manual, AF Fine Tune:

AF Fine Tune
Fine-tune focus for up to 12 lens types. "AF tuning is not recommended in most situations"; use only when required.

Is this what you are looking for? (My quote marks).

Last edited: