The "In's and Out's" of Program Mode

RobV

With my latest camera (D5300), I have decided to give Program Mode a try, especially after reading the reference manual.

ISO is Auto.

When I was first playing around with it, I was sitting in my living room, and it didn't appear to work as the manual described.

Just now, I stepped outside for the first time, and voila!, as I turn the control dial, shutter speed and f-stop change in relation to each other as described!

Did I miss something in the manual? Is Program Mode only for situations with plenty of light?

I have no problem using Aperture, Shutter and Manual. Those I understand.

I can't say enough good about that Reference manual. I looked at the downloaded User manual, (I did not get a book with my refurbished camera), and I doubt I will look at it, again. Too bad the Reference manual is not available to purchase in hardcopy. It would probably be cost-prohibitive to get one copy printed. I guess I just need to take a lot of pictures and learn to use the camera! The D610 I owned briefly, came with the much larger manual. Nikon needs to address this. Some say printed manuals are old hat. I, for one, prefer them. I suppose there is a 3rd party manual that is just as good. I have not researched it, yet.

Thanks.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Just guessing what you might have seen. If it is dark the camera will attempt to keep a shutter speed that is fast enough to prevent camera shake blurring. That might be why settings did not change as you expected them to.

nickt

Along with what Woody said, Auto Iso might have been kicking in. I think you can set auto iso to consider a minimum shutter speed on the d5300. That could make nothing appear to happen when you try to alter the program. It may have been quietly raising iso. Also in lower light, you could be at your minimum aperture, so no program shift in that direction since the lens cannot open any more.

Program modes is actually a good way to shoot many situations. You seem to have the idea down pretty good. If you pay attention to what you are doing it can take the place of Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority by turning the control wheel as you have seen. Setting the ISO to Auto and carefully setting the maximum ISO to a reasonable level and always leaving the minimum at 100 ISO can make it easier to concentrate on what you are shooting as opposed to how you are shooting. Not sure about the D5300 but setting the Minimum shutter speed in my D7100 and D750 both have a Auto setting that will set the minimum shutter speed based on the length of the lens. Mine have a sliding scale so that you can set it faster or slower based on your shooting style. Something for you to look into. I can change from my 14mm to my 150-600 and the camera knows what my minimum shutter speed should be without my having to deal with it. It has saved me several times.

I shoot in all modes at different times but for most walk-around shooting it lives in program mode.