Lightroom ?

Bounce

Okay hope this makes some kind of sense, Once I've imported my photos in LR, then once I'm done in develop section, i then export them into a subfolder e.g. Landscape, BW etc..so my photos are categorised, but when i delete a picture in the library it will also delete the one in the subfolder, which i don't think is right ? otherwise I'm just ending up with countless doubles. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Fred Kingston_RIP

Why are you deleting the photos in LR??? You don't do that. LR is a catalogue of the images on your destination drive... They're NOT doubles.

Let's go a bit further.... Think of the images you've Imported as the "negatives" for your pictures, and when you Export a particular image, you've just made a "Print"... LR acts as a catalogue for your "Negatives"... in future, you use the original Negative to make another Print, or you use the Negative to make a totally different image (by editing/manipulating the negative) and making a totally different Print...

Last edited:

egosbar

lightroom has features for this rather then using folders , try smart collections for categories , i move and delete etc inside lightroom then update the catalogue , i also sync my entire pictures folder every few weeks , i dont think any moving etc should be done outside lightroom imo

keywording is a great way to find categories , in one of my smart collections i have photos witout keywords , i hit that occasionally and keyword the photos ive missed , if you keep it up to date its easy

egosbar

Why are you deleting the photos in LR??? You don't do that. LR is a catalogue of the images on your destination drive... They're NOT doubles.

Let's go a bit further.... Think of the images you've Imported as the "negatives" for your pictures, and when you Export a particular image, you've just made a "Print"... LR acts as a catalogue for your "Negatives"... in future, you use the original Negative to make another Print, or you use the Negative to make a totally different image (by editing/manipulating the negative) and making a totally different Print...

i move,rename or delete any photos that i need to inside lightroom , the corresponding file will be moved or deleted in the computer drive , i never move or change anything inside my c drive

Bounce

Oh ok, no i haven't deleted any photos just wasn't sure if this was right in having duplicates but yes Thanks i see your point.

Bounce

lightroom has features for this rather then using folders , try smart collections for categories , i move and delete etc inside lightroom then update the catalogue , i also sync my entire pictures folder every few weeks , i dont think any moving etc should be done outside lightroom imo

keywording is a great way to find categories , in one of my smart collections i have photos witout keywords , i hit that occasionally and keyword the photos ive missed , if you keep it up to date its easy

yeah i do use smart collocations for my catalogue, Thanks egosbar.