Hi there!

Eddie R

Newbie reporting in, looking to make photography a hobby mostly for family photos and travel. Never had a DSLR just point and shoot cameras, Im educating myself on the web mostly youtube turorials. Im on the market for my first Dslr narrowing down to a D3300 w kit lens for $500 or a D5300 with 18-55mm for $600. Any input or advise will be appreciated.
Thanks
Eddie

Last edited:

Woodyg3

Contributor
Welcome.

Both are very good cameras, which I know doesn't help you much, but either would make a great first DSLR IMO. :)

nickt

I don't have either, so take this for what it's worth, but I would say the d5300. More focus points, more cross type focus points (better), tilt-out screen (nice for video), gps. I think bracketing too on the d5300, but not the d3300. (check me on that). If you get the d3300, you will always wonder if you should have got the d5300. If you get the d5300, you won't wonder about the d3300.

The only thing I would add is to consider the 18-140 rather than the 18-55. Big price jump on the kit, I know. Maybe find a used one or if you can wait, refurb 18-140's turn up at Cameta and Adorama for around $240. The 18-55 is not bad though if you are anxious to get going. The 18-140 will keep you happy for a much longer time. Great everyday lens. If you get the 18-55, you will be tempted down the road to get the 55-200. In my opinion that leaves you with an awkward setup.

We are good at spending your money. Only you can really judge how much you will use and enjoy the camera.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I have the 5300 & 18-55 lens. Nice combo to start with. I added a 70-300 lens for the distant shots. Do I want more lenses? Of course. I think you always want just a little more. Ha!

Out & About using Tapatalk

RON_RIP

Newbie reporting in, looking to make photography a hobby mostly for family photos and travel. Never had a DSLR just point and shoot cameras, Im educating myself on the web mostly youtube turorials. Im on the market for my first Dslr narrowing down to a D3300 w kit lens for $500 or a D5300 with 18-55mm for $600. Any input or advise will be appreciated.
Thanks
Eddie
Welcome aboard and as long as your camera selection says Nikon on the front your going to be alright.

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,you may find the 5300 takes you further before you feel the need to upgrade but the 3300 would allow you to add a more all encompassing lens and stay within budget,maybe:D

mike

Daniel Aegerter

Welcome to Nikonites!
I started out with the D3000 and got a D7100 (the primal beast, as it is known around here) after one year.
I cannot give you sound advice, only that I found the D3000 lacking some stuff I wanted to have rather fast.

Danno

Welcome to the forum... Tough decision. If you can afford the extra $100 go for the 5300, but the 3300 is a great place to start as well. I started with a 3200. I could afford it and I enjoyed it immensely and learned a lot.

MaxBlake

Welcome, Eddie. YouTube can be a great place to learn about the ins and outs of your camera; it makes a terrific supplement to the owner's manual. Good for you.

I have a D3300, and it takes excellent photos. The prices are really competitive, especially if you look at refurbs. It makes for a wonderful first-time-out camera, but you can't go wrong with either of the models you are looking at.