Why shoot in Aperture mode !!

mdq8

Hi ....
Why would a photographer shoot in Aperture mode when automatic setting does the job nicely, i know in some situations you need shallow depth of field, but in general auto mode is doing the job, i hear photographers use A mode 95% of the time, i need some explanation in detail if possible.

Thanks ,,

Danno

First, welcome to the Forum. I think you will find this a very good place to learn about photography and your Camera. I would suggest you go to your profile page and let everyone know what kind of equipment you have. That is really helpful.

As for shooting in any mode other than automatic. It gives you control of the shot. If you shoot in automatic the camera makes all the decisions. You get to decide if you will have a very shallow depth of field for a portrait, for example, where the background is blurred or a much deeper depth of field for a landscape. The camera is good but it does not know what you want the picture to look like when you are done, only how to get a good exposure.

I never shoot in Auto. I started in August of 2014 and I used Auto to help me learn how to set my camera, but I watched a lot of videos on the exposure triangle and light. I am still such a novice, but I do enjoy it and I learn something here every day.

I know you will get more detailed explanations from the other folks on the forum. Good people here and a lot of experience.

JH Foto

New DSLR cameras are very clever and yes they can do a good job in Auto mode but often you need to use the other controls to get get the exact image you want.

hrstrat57

I like blurred backgrounds to isolate my primary subject as much as possible. My Nikons are very smart but they are not artistic. I am very old school stubborn tho I never use auto ISO either and it is excellent on the D700 I've been told.

I shoot A priority probably 80% of the time and always when shooting burst. I never use auto if it wasn't there I wouldn't even notice.

mikew_RIP

Aperture mode to choose the aperture
Shutter mode to choose the shutter speed
Auto ISO to choose shutter or/and aperture

Thats over simplification but its an idea of why,auto your handing all controls over to the camera,it can be a good starting point.

Horoscope Fish

Hi ....
Why would a photographer shoot in Aperture mode when automatic setting does the job nicely, i know in some situations you need shallow depth of field, but in general auto mode is doing the job, i hear photographers use A mode 95% of the time, i need some explanation in detail if possible.

Thanks ,,
To put it simply, creative control.

Controlling aperture allows me to create a pleasing background that doesn't compete with the subject but instead, emphasizes it. Or, conversely, it allows me to use a deep depth of field which brings the background into focus to give the subject some context. Even then, though, I might want a deepER depth of field, but not TOO deep; allowing me to bring only the elements I want into focus. Again, creative control.

Personally, I think Full-auto is fine for snapshots or when you're shooting in ideal conditions. However, when (if) you get to a point where you want to start taking your shots to the next level, you need to start taking more control over how they're taken. At this point you're also probably going to start finding yourself shooting in conditions that are far from ideal and that Full-auto will be less and less capable of "nailing the shot". The first step in doing that is learning the Exposure Triangle, composed of Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. Each leg of that triangle has two components, or two considerations (as I like to call them): Aperture has shallow depth of field vs deep depth of field. Shutter speed has motion blur and motion freezing. ISO has sharpness and digital noise. Each leg of the triangle, and each of it's considerations, are things that can be brought in to the creative process of getting exactly the shots we want.

Last edited:

Rick M

Despite how "smart" cameras are now, they do not understand your subject and your DoF needs. Shooting a group of people is a good example, the camera does not no how deep the DoF needs to be. I'm in Aperture mode 99% of the time. The only time I'm not is when I'm in manual for Flash, but even then my first priority is the Aperture setting.

rocketman122

i hear photographers use A mode 95% of the time

I shoot in manual mode 95% of the time. with manual adjustment of iso/kelvin and flash power as well. you heard nonsense

Horoscope Fish

i hear photographers use A mode 95% of the time

I shoot in manual mode 95% of the time. with manual adjustment of iso/kelvin and flash power as well. you heard nonsense
I have to agree. While I think it's safe to say Aperture Priority is a very popular shooting mode, to say it's used 95% of time really is nonsense. I too shoot in manual almost exclusively as do many of us.

skene

Depends on the shot you are trying to compose. Aperture mode is makes it fairly simple for shots like portraits where you want to control your DOF and isolate the subject.
However to say that people stay in A mode.. That's just ridonkulous...

Zeke_M

i hear photographers use A mode 95% of the time I shoot in manual mode 95% of the time. with manual adjustment of iso/kelvin and flash power as well. you heard nonsense
What he said. If I can't get the shot I want in manual mode, I'll try "A" or "S" and see what the camera thinks about it. I tried shooting in "A" exclusively for a couple days. I wasn't impressed with the results.

Last edited: