Tamron 85mm 1.8 VC... This lens is a must have.

skene

While images probably would not do too much I'll have to say that it is an amazing lens. Having a chance to play with it at WPPI. This is definitely something you want to take a look into before you go running for Nikon's version. VC was good to me to around 1/20th sec. I'll have to go through my pics and see if there was anything worth showing.
However check your local retailers to test drive this puppy when it's available.

Horoscope Fish

While images probably would not do too much I'll have to say that it is an amazing lens. Having a chance to play with it at WPPI. This is definitely something you want to take a look into before you go running for Nikon's version. VC was good to me to around 1/20th sec. I'll have to go through my pics and see if there was anything worth showing.
However check your local retailers to test drive this puppy when it's available.
The is a very exciting lens... The MTF charts look amazing, the electromagnetic diaphragm is very cool, I really like Tamron VC and I hear their newest lenses (including this one) will have a USB port which, like the Sigma dock, will allow you to fine tune the auto-focus and download firmware updates. I've been waiting for Sigma to release their highly anticipated 85mm f/1.4 Art series lens but this Tamron 85' looks to be positively smoooooooookin'!

I have a Nikon 85mm f/1.8G right now and I like it about as much as I can like any "G" series lens from Nikon... Which is to say, not a whole helluva lot. Part of me is just looking for a good reason to let go of it.

Last edited:

skene

Interesting. Any idea on the price?
I picked up my Nikon 85mm f1.8G as a Nikon refurb for $390. Great glass.

like most of tamrons pricing im sure it will be competitive. they were trying to sell me on it when i was getting my lens serviced there. will scan the brochure tonight if u need reading material for it. but im sure it can be found elsewhere before i can get to it.

Horoscope Fish

... Can the Tamron be that much better for $749?
For many I think that answer will will depend on if you are restricting your argument to pure image quality, which we can't yet judge.

However, the MTF charts indicate performance superior to that of the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G so, just for the sake of argument, let's say the Tamron edges out the Nikon on that front. What else are we looking at? Well, the Tamron has VC, the Nikon doesn't. The Tamron 85' has a 9-blade aperture, the Nikon version doesn't. The Tamron 85' has the electromagnetic aperture control, the Nikon version doesn't. The Tamron has USB functionality, the Nikon version doesn't. What the Nikon version does have is that delightfully "cheap" feel of injection molded plastic. Mmmmmm!!

carguy

For many I think that answer will will depend on if you are restricting your argument to pure image quality, which we can't yet judge.

However, the MTF charts indicate performance superior to that of the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G so, just for the sake of argument, let's say the Tamron edges out the Nikon on that front. What else are we looking at? Well, the Tamron has VC, the Nikon doesn't. The Tamron 85' has a 9-blade aperture, the Nikon version doesn't. The Tamron 85' has the electromagnetic aperture control, the Nikon version doesn't. The Tamron has USB functionality, the Nikon version doesn't. What the Nikon version does have is that delightfully "cheap" feel of injection molded plastic. Mmmmmm!!

You snipped out a key component to my previous reply -- Not for me personally. Perhaps for others

:)

Horoscope Fish

You snipped out a key component to my previous reply -- Not for me personally. Perhaps for others :)
Oh I'm not trying to sell you on the Tamron; my response was geared toward those who might be pondering the very question you posed: is the Tamron worth the extra money when compared to the Nikon 85'? I "snipped" your post to highlight the relevent portion in regards to my reply, is all.

Zeke_M

If the Tamron had been out last December I might have given it a look.
I bought a used 85mm G lens at that time.
For the last couple days I've been using it to do product photography in less than ideal conditions.
The Nikon is stellar. VR isn't missed or needed. No need for me to upgrade.

I'll look at the Tamron if I can see one in the wild or when they show up on the used market. YMMV.

skene

Scan 1.jpgScan 2.jpgScan 3.jpgScan 4.jpg

Here is the scanned brochure on the 85mm...

TKC_D500

Interesting. I think he messed up his 'real world shootout' by using two different cameras though

I have no need for an 85mm portrait lens, so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I was thinking the same thing about this video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk