Tamron VS Sigma VS Nikkor 70-200 2.8

Fortkentdad

Really thinking I need a 2.8 70-200.

Prices range from about a grand (CDN$) for a Tamron without VC to $2400 (on March sale) for a Nikkor VR2.

Currently Sigma is about $1600 vs $1750 for Tamron (both with vibration control)

Siggy offers the option of a USB port that can be used with their doodad to upgrade software in the future and fine tune the lens (about $90)

From looking at images I don't think there is much of an IQ difference.

Anyone have any thoughts on which of these lenses is best.

No I'm not a wedding photographer (hear the 70-200 is standard for shooting from the back of a poorly lite church). But do periodic children's shoots (e.g. later this month I get to shoot the Easter Bunny at the children's centre again). Primary use would be family and whatever else strikes my fancy.

My other 'should have' lens is a faster 1.8 (or 1.4??) 85mm. And a big birder to 600mm. But the 70-200 is on top of the 'get next' list.

jay_dean

You'll probably not a definitive answer to this question (as you'll probably already know) as people have differing views on price/IQ/AF speeds etc with all of them. I got the Nikon and am more than pleased with it.

J-see

I have the (new) Tamron and am satisfied about the performance. When I looked into it, the Nikon and Tamron were about identical in quality (for my cam) but the Tam was quite some cheaper.

SteveH

I rented a Nikon 70-200 a while ago, and during the week's rental I fell in love with it and had to own one..... Then my wife spotted a second hand one in a camera shop while we were on holiday. It has a few scratches on the body, but the glass is absolutely perfect - But it was £500 (~$710 USD) under that of a new lens.

I haven't used the Sigma or Tamron, but I have read from reputable people on here that they are awesome lenses too.

Don't rule out a good used lens, there are some bargains around!

Fortkentdad

Thanks for the replies so far

Yes I know this is sort of like asking if Coke or Pepsi tastes better. :)

Used from a dealer that will offer a bit of a warranty is on my radar. Almost got burned with a Nikkor 24-70 used that failed after one week of use - vendor did take it back but didn't have to. For me the dealer's rep is key when buying used.

Another consideration that radically reduces cost. Going to the new version with VC adds close to a grand. IF I could find a VR1 Nikkor I'd be thinking hard about that. Tamron non VC can be had for about $800 - new with VC now running $1800.

And I did not realize that the Siggy did not have the USB port, that level's the playing field a bit.

I have several Tamron's and have been happy with their products - and they offer the better warranty.

I hope to go to McBain's Camera show next month - with my tax return burning a hole in my pocket. Hope they have a sale I cannot pass up.

Yes I know Nikkor lenses are on sale in Canada this month and a price increase has been announced for next month - but even with sale price $2400 is still too steep for me right now.

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

When I was buying my D750, there was a "Mom Professional" at the counter asking all sorts of questions about haw to improve her photos, and she was looking at the Tamron 70-200, and since I had my Nikon in my bag at the counter, I let her try it out on her camera. Her big hangup was with the difference in price between the lenses. Her husband told her to just get the lens she liked better, and she bought the Nikon.

After she was gone, I discussed the sale with the owner, and he said that a lot of people end up getting the "band name" lenses after they've had the third party lenses a while. (Some don't though. It could just be brand snobbery, but there may be something to it after all.)

WM

Fortkentdad

Did you come to a decision yet?

I got very lucky.

http://nikonites.com/off-topic/12528-post-your-latest-purchases-421.html#post554120

We don't do Kijiji in these parts, we have a local on line "trading post" that everyone uses. I follow it and always check the camera section. That deal popped up and I was fortunate enough to be the first to snap it up.

So now I am the proud owner of the original Nikkor 70-200 VRI.

I just could not justify the $2600+ they ask for the VRII in Canada. And from the reviews I've read the consensus seems to be that the VRII version had many good enhancements - it was a total redesign. The original VR-I however is still considered a fine piece of glass. Equal to or superior to the current Siggy or Tammy one's I would say.

I don't mind third party lenses and have several. But could not pass up that deal.

Last edited: