Just received the AmazonBasics wireless shutter release remote

Daz

as Paul has said you need to enable it, and remember the IR receiver is on the front (On the handgrip) of the D series bodies so you need to have this in front pointing back to the camera for it to work :)

tea2085

All I see is "remote duration" setting where you specify the amount of time it will wait before canceling remote control mode. The 3300 has IR reciever front and back. Paul

Horoscope Fish

My bad, the D3300 is an odd beast... The shutter release modes, including the wireless remote option, are handled by a button on the back of the camera body:
D3300.png

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Their range isn't all that long just so you know although I found the Amazon Basics one worked better than the Nikon brand. As Daz mentioned, the remote should be in front of the camera. If you are standing behind the camera, then reach your hand around to the front. At least that's what I've had to do.

tea2085

Got it- thanks guys! Paul, where in the heck did you find that info? I googled a few times and checked my manual and 300 page camera instruction about just the 3300- to no avail. Do you have supernatural powers! Again THANK YOU for solving my puzzle.
One thing I noticed though, is that I need to set the Quick response remote setting each time I take a photo. Is that how it works? Paul

Horoscope Fish

tea2085

I did find a remote duration setting, one of which is 15M, that allows me to take as many pictures as I want for 15 mins. That's good because I like to experiment with shutter speed, ISO and aperture settings, especially when I'm shooting a waterfalls. Paul

Bob Blaylock

as Paul has said you need to enable it, and remember the IR receiver is on the front (On the handgrip) of the D series bodies so you need to have this in front pointing back to the camera for it to work :)

My D3200 has a sensor on the front, where you indicate, and another on the back, near the upper left corner. As a result, it can respond to an IR remote in front of it, or behind it. I doubt if the D3300 differs in this respect.

2016-02-26 19.49.16a.jpg

2016-02-26 19.50.37a.jpg

Daz

My D3200 has a sensor on the front, where you indicate, and another on the back, near the upper left corner. As a result, it can respond to an IR remote in front of it, or behind it. I doubt if the D3300 differs in this respect.

View attachment 200432

View attachment 200431

You are correct however I could never get my D3300 to fire from the back, not sure if it was just a dodgy IR, but the front worked fine, back a no go