Senior photos (10 imgs). C&C welcome.

pforsell

Some senior photos. C&C welcome. Full body shots with 70-200/VR and face portraits with 200/2 VR2. Camera was D3X.

24830572479_37ca829e99_b.jpg

25079995572_d43e17a3e7_b.jpg

24567599734_3c1a4c41be_b.jpg

24571442753_133f60d5af_b.jpg

25105026081_9be484abf9_b.jpg

25198263455_7b7c8a4b78_b.jpg

24830574849_88429d02b9_b.jpg

24571441973_761b9e37e7_b.jpg

25105025881_f7fcda788d_b.jpg

25171931176_3941f11b7f_b.jpg

Moab Man

Beautiful work! The only thing that bugs me is the full body shots. It seems she is floating or cut out. I don't know off the top of my head what the answer is because I understand what you were going for, but the shadow of the dress showing up on the perfect white floor is throwing me. And I hate to give a critique without a suggestion, but I'm stumped. However, I really love the look - very angelic and sweet.

pforsell

Beautiful work! The only thing that bugs me is the full body shots. It seems she is floating or cut out. I don't know off the top of my head what the answer is because I understand what you were going for, but the shadow of the dress showing up on the perfect white floor is throwing me. And I hate to give a critique without a suggestion, but I'm stumped. However, I really love the look - very angelic and sweet.

Thanks for comments, appreciated.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Some senior photos. C&C welcome. Full body shots with 70-200/VR and face portraits with 200/2 VR2. Camera was D3X.
25079995572_d43e17a3e7_b.jpg

24567599734_3c1a4c41be_b.jpg

I am not as enamored over these as is Moab Man. The second and third shots really bother me. Since I am not able to see her irises (the colored pars of her eyes), to me they look alien (for lack of a better description). Plus I don't care for how much her neck is strained looking over her shoulder. It doesn't look comfortable. The other images are okay, but as MM said, the lack of shadows doesn't help.

I can see the irises ok. She just has dark eyes. But I have to agree the stark white bothers me a bit too. Moab man is correct in that the missing shadow does make it a bit stark. Great exposures and posing though. I think a little work on the background will only help it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daz

Have you taken her off the background that was shot on? As has been said she looks like she is floating.

Blacktop

It's all good that we have different opinions, but I promise (my experience with senior photos parents) the parents will eat these photos up.

I wouldn't. Technically the shots are good I just don't feel comfortable when looking at them. #7 and #8 I'm ok with, but the rest bother me. I'm no portrait expert, far from it. I'm just coming from an outside observer's point of view.
I can't explain it, except that maybe it looks more like a product shot then a portrait of someone's daughter.

Moab Man

Your looking at it with a different eye, an educated eye. I regularly compete with momtographers and many of them are selling complete crap but many of them can sell volume. What I have had to learn is to look at things through their eyes and not my own to realize that most making a purchase don't know good from bad. Doesn't mean I lower my standards, but I know clients generally aren't knowledgeable on good vs bad photography.

Whiskeyman

My first though is that these are masked in post-processing. What I see, I really like. It's what I'm not seeing that bothered me a bit. (However, it may be what the client is looking for.) I'd like to see these as 3/4 shots, so that the hem of the gown doesn't throw the shadow that it does. (I guess I just contradicted myself there.)

As far as Moab Man's point about these selling, I'm going to agree with him. And his comment about "momtographers" is spot on. I see that here, all the time, especially if the price is so low that after the photographer wears their camera out, they don't have enough left over to buy a new camera. In the local guild, these photographers are referred to as MWACs (Moms With A Camera), and the term is not meant to be a compliment.

WM