model photo shoot

ans_photography

hey everyone so im attending my first model photo shoot in december and im still kinda getting used to my camera. ive never used the hood on any of my lenses before and i was wondering if i should use it during the shoot, i will not be shooting alone as it is a training experience, im not sure if that will change the conditions or not, also it said as far as lighting they have asked us not to use our flash and the lighting they are providing is "hot lights" and "soft boxes" will that change the conditions as well?

Rick M

Thats a hell of a thread title to post without pictures!, oh the disappointment:)

With that said, I'll defer to the lighting experts.

Browncoat

The lens hood is used to combat lens flare from lighting sources...typically the sun. You're probably not going to have an issue with flare during an indoor shoot.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
There might be multiple sources of light in that studio and you probably will have to live with them. I would strongly suggest the lens hood. When I think of my studio days (many moons ago), I remember we always used the best lens shade we could. There will be backlight for sure and you want to make sure that that light doesn't get to your lens.
You'll get many different opinions on this, but what does it cost to use the shade that was designed for the lens you will be using?

Johnathan Aulabaugh

I'll be the first to admit I have lots to learn. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd do an indoor model shoot with only a 55-200mm lens.

BWTHDIK...
eh, while the 55-200 is not the best lens by any means it is a capable lens that covers a broad spectrum. When I shoot people, I generally use a fast 50 or my 70-200 2.8. the biggest difference here is going to be what his lens can do with the light given to him. While his lens is not going to give him super deep DOF or extreme low light ability, it will cover what he needs.

silvertip

As far as the lens hood-- shoot some with it on and some with it off. Remember which ones you used the hood on and see if there is much of a difference in the photos. Best way to learn is to experiment.