D5300 and tamer on 18-270 tips and advice

thequeenscheese

Just got this lens today (used from a local camera shop ) and I'm just wondering what's the best / advisable settings to use with it?

for eg multi servo or single servo , single point focus or auto, multi etc?

Should i I usually have the vr on or off and just on when appropriate?, as it is noisy

the auto focus seems to click at certain me to object and focal lengths like it's always trying to adjust itself - does this sound like a fault or just something I need to get used to ( currently only tried in low light in the house with big light on)?
Also would it be normal the macro setting is poor on such a lens?

cheers john..

Last edited:

thequeenscheese

I've just noticed a poor live view focus aswell it just doesn't seem to want to focus using live view intermittently in macro, but is that because it's not a macro lens as such and it a longer focal length, Any ideas?

Last edited:

thequeenscheese

I think the lens stutter/judder is to do with the lens not being able to focus well in low light or on complicated objects ie cats fur in low light or black cat , does this sound feasible or could it be an error with the lens? I have 6mnth warranty so I can return it if there's an issue..

thequeenscheese

when focusing on this subject ribbons on a present in decent light it just doesn't like to focus trying to micro focus on the subject (aperture. Mode and macro) , is this a limitation of the lens / long focal length or is it a fault?

image.jpg

This is is just taken via the iPad not the Tamron to show what on focusing in( the ribbon swirls on top)..

Last edited:

thequeenscheese

I sort of get the impression that it's trying to o rain a focus point that's between x2 teeth on the gears that turn the focus ( presume that's how it all works), would that suggest worn teeth or. Just a limitation?

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I am going to guess that it is just trying to find focus, but in low light it is having problems. You need to try it out in a good light (sunny day) to see how it behaves. I have a Nikon 70-300 which at times has a little problem focusing at times and goes in and out. I would try focusing on a stick or something in the grass using single point focus to see what it will do. All just guessing on what is going on as I have not seen the lens you have.

thequeenscheese

It performs well out and about in daylight, but in what I would just call low "late afternoon light" and on complex subjects it does struggle in the same light the 18-55 performs faultlessly.
i have read that lenses may need to be calibrated to a specific body in this particular lens to stop forward focusing, and maybe I need to do this or the previous owner of the lens had, had this done on a different body to mine? I've checked for a few update but I don't there is one for it.