B+W vversus HOYA filter

tea2085

The price difference is substantial but I have a 450$ wide angle and I don't want to skimp on the filter. Is the HOYA filter equal quality as the B+W? Paul

Horoscope Fish

The price difference is substantial but I have a 450$ wide angle and I don't want to skimp on the filter. Is the HOYA filter equal quality as the B+W?
I have lenses that cost more than twice that and I use various Hoya HD filters on them with absolute confidence.

You're not sacrificing anything, in my experience, when using Hoya filters.

cbay

I have both brands. The UV are not so pricey so i opted for the BW xs pro. ND's are more money so i went with HOYA. So far i got no problems with any as far as optical quality. The UV's have stayed on from day one. The 9 stop is a bugger to clean but from what i understand that is par for the course. Next ND will probably be breakthrough brand for color cast reasons.

tea2085

cbay; you said Next ND will probably be breakthrough brand for color cast reasons.My question, is ND a brand name of a filter? I thought it stood for neutral density'

cbay

cbay; you said Next ND will probably be breakthrough brand for color cast reasons.My question, is ND a brand name of a filter? I thought it stood for neutral density'
Sorry for confusion. ND for neutral density, breakthrough for the brand.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The price difference is substantial but I have a 450$ wide angle and I don't want to skimp on the filter. Is the HOYA filter equal quality as the B+W? Paul

If you are looking for a Circular Polarizer, you might want to check out this one by Hoya. Last week I ordered the 82mm filter size for a phenomenal price. Now it says it is discontinued (the original price was over $100). Smaller sizes are still available for terrific prices...while they last

Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizing Pro 1Digital Multi-Coated XD77CRPL

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Cindy, thanks but I noted a few people said the 77mm filter easily cross threads. Paul

I understand. Hoya does offer other CP filters. If you are going to buy one for a wide angle lens, just be aware filters that are thick may show a little vignetting. Some filters are specifically made thinner and go by slim profile or other similar descriptions.

In general, both B+W and Hoya are the two filter manufacturers I use. I believe the only exception is an ICE Neutral Density filter although I haven't yet tried it out. I think @Horoscope Fish can offer more insight into this ND filter brand as he was the first person I noticed who mentioned it. The cost is affordable in comparison with other brands, and Amazon's reviews for it are quite positive. When the weather is warmer, I want to test mine out against a more expensive ND filter (I think my other ND filters are made by Hoya).

Horoscope Fish

tea said:
Cindy, thanks but I noted a few people said the 77mm filter easily cross threads. Paul
Buy the filter that makes you happy but when I read a handful of reviews like that in an ocean of positive ones, it always makes me wonder exactly how people came to such a conclusion. This is probably the same crowd likely to crash their new Ferrari into a phone pole and then blame the Ferrari... Or the phone company... Or the Italians. People are quick to find fault in their stars; not so much in themselves.

hark said:
In general, both B+W and Hoya are the two filter manufacturers I use. I believe the only exception is an ICE Neutral Density filter although I haven't yet tried it out. I think @Horoscope Fish can offer more insight into this ND filter brand as he was the first person I noticed who mentioned it. The cost is affordable in comparison with other brands, and Amazon's reviews for it are quite positive.
The ICE filter I have is a big, 10-stop ND so it's not something I have a lot of occasion to use. When I have used it exposures have always been in the realm of several seconds to something like a couple minutes in duration, not several minutes. That being said, I've been happy with the ICE filter. I certainly would never have guessed it was $30 filter had I not paid for it myself; the construction is quite good, and color cast is as well controlled as on any other neutral density filter.

tea2085

I do realize that reviews are often motivated by factors other than the product. I do think I'm going to buy a higher end Hoya circular polarizer and Cindy reminded me to make sure it's thin. It is for a wide angle lens. Thanks Fish for your valuable input. Paul

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I do realize that reviews are often motivated by factors other than the product. I do think I'm going to buy a higher end Hoya circular polarizer and Cindy reminded me to make sure it's thin. It is for a wide angle lens. Thanks Fish for your valuable input. Paul

When researching filters, not all of them have threads on the front. When a filter lacks front threads, you won't be able to use your lens cap because there isn't any way for the cap to grab onto the filter. Not all descriptions will include that info. I have a different Hoya CP filter that lacks the threads. Found out the hard way. ;) Good luck with your search!

Horoscope Fish

I think I'm going to go with this one...
Hoya HD's are the ones I use. The HD filters use a harder glass than most filters (Hoya claims the glass is 4x stronger than what's commonly used, if memory serves) and last I heard Hoya is the world's largest maker of optical glass so I would feel safe in assuming they know what they're doing.

The thing I like best about the HD's is that you only lose about one stop using them. By comparison the Nikon-branded CPL, which I think is a fine filter, loses 1-1/2 stops, while run of the mill polarizers lose a full two stops of light on the regular. Hoya HD's also clean up easier than any other multi-coated CPL I've used.