Stageportrait

kawaracer

Guido Belcanto + Va et Vient_007klein.jpg

kawaracer

Ok some ideas and opinions regarding this pic.
Should a stage portrait like this, shot during a live show of an artist, be analysed and rated the same as a studio portrait? Or should the circumstances of a live show be taken in concidiration while rating?
I ask this because in the photoclub we can give 3 times a year 6 pics with a open subject to be rated by a extern jury. And they treated this as and compared it with the studio portraits and ended up giving this one a low score. I'm a bit frustrated that they compare it to a pic took in a situation where the photographer as total control (studio) instead of the real situation: low and changing lights and a singer who is doing his act and is not posing, so no second chances.

J-see

Personally I'm of the opinion a photo does not require an explanation so whatever the conditions during the shooting, they are irrelevant in respect to the result.

So yeah, they should be judged identical.

kawaracer

Also when in the comments they say that the ISO was set to high and the DOF is to small, so the overall sharpness isn't ideal. They also stated that I should have added more light, which is not done and most of the time not allowed. In my opinion this is a lack of insight of this part of photography. I think this is more like action or sports photography

J-see

Also when in the comments they say that the ISO was set to high and the DOF is to small, so the overall sharpness isn't ideal. They also stated that I should have added more light, which is not done and most of the time not allowed. In my opinion this is a lack of insight of this part of photography. I think this is more like action or sports photography

I don't disagree that it is different but a shot like the one shared here does not really reveal whether it is a live performance or studio pose.

Live obviously has disadvantages but you also got the passion and action while a scened shot often looks like dead meat.

Needa

Challenge Team
Ignore the low score. Is there any information in the judging that you can use to improve. I agree it is an apple and oranges comparison but that could be said of any two pictures unless they are of an identical subject.

kawaracer

Ignore the low score. Is there any information in the judging that you can use to improve. I agree it is an apple and oranges comparison but that could be said of any two pictures unless they are of an identical subject.
They advised to take out the green that is in the eye, but after the other remarkes I kinda stopped listening

J-see

If you want to get somewhere, criticism is fundamental for progress.

If it's just a hobby you can stick your fingers in your ears and do whatever you like.

PS: I was curious about the suggested eye color change and after trying must admit they were right. Here's a quick color change to show you it looks indeed better.

Guido Belcanto + Va et Vient_007klein.jpg

Last edited:

kawaracer

If you want to get somewhere, criticism is fundamental for progress.

If it's just a hobby you can stick your fingers in your ears and do whatever you like.

PS: I was curious about the suggested eye color change and after trying must admit they were right. Here's a quick color change to show you it looks indeed better.

View attachment 199316

How did you do this? I really need to work on my PS and LR skills, those are really basic.

J-see

How did you do this? I really need to work on my PS and LR skills, those are really basic.

It's very simple.

I selected the green area of the eye and changed the color (pushing it to yellow/brown). I used HSL in Affinity to do such but you can do the same using color balance in PS. I don't remember if PS has HSL too.

Here's a screenshot of Affinity. I expect it to be reasonable similar in PS. As you see, it's a tiny selection and adjustment of that.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 09.41.38.png

Color balance gives you even more control than HSL but it's not really needed for this.

Last edited:

Needa

Challenge Team
With my PSskills it wasn't better, But I'm sure that it can be done in a way that it doesn't show

The important part here is you tried it. See J-see gave you some help. You said youu are not good with PS you know one of your weaknesses. Now work on it.

Criticism can be hard to take. Will they or do they put it in writing? You may find it easier and more productive to review it several days later. After you have gone through this process several times review your own, before you submit and see what you find and things you miss.

kawaracer

Critique and feedback is why I joint the club and several fora, these are the tings I learn from. My motto is To try= To learn. Trying something and get feedback on the result keeps me going forward. But by litterally putting this pic next to a studio portrait and saying that mine should have more DOF and a lower ISO (less noise) and more light put in like in the studio. Is criticism where I can't do anything with, 'cause those things are not possible. In a live situation you have to work with the conditions at that point and you don't have control over the subject.